Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

AEM Wideband 02 Questions.

Old 12-12-2006, 05:56 AM
braap braap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default AEM Wideband 02 Questions.

I bought a AEM wideband brand new a couple months back, and installed it with my turbo kit.

I went to remove the wideband the other day and I noticed that part of the gauge was melted, but it worked fine. I then noticed the plugs on the wideband gauge were brown looking instead of white. I put the gauge back in my gauge pod and sometimes it works, and other times it does not work.

I was wondering if these gauges can be repaired, or if I'm going to have to spend another 200 dollars and buy another wideband o2 gauge setup.

Any help would be appreciated. And for the record, it has been removed several times and installed in friends cars for street tunes. I guess the last time I installed it back in it wasn't grounded properly and melted part of the gauge.

Old 12-12-2006, 06:02 AM
Jay
VR-4ever

Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay Jay
Default Re: AEM Wideband 02 Questions.

wow!

Picture?

If it worked all the time before you pulled it, and after re-installing it works some of the time, well... that points to a loose connector. Hopefully it's keyed so someone didn't connect it backwards, LOL.
Old 12-12-2006, 06:19 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

From my understanding (and correct me if im wrong), running the wideband constantly will mess up/burn out the sensor, which is what I assume what happened.

Give apexi a call, I think you can just purchase the sensor itself and replace it. The gauge should still be fine. Can't figure out for the life of me why the gauge itself would be damaged though...
Old 12-12-2006, 06:34 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Junon
From my understanding (and correct me if im wrong), running the wideband constantly will mess up/burn out the sensor, which is what I assume what happened.

Give apexi a call, I think you can just purchase the sensor itself and replace it. The gauge should still be fine. Can't figure out for the life of me why the gauge itself would be damaged though...
Running a wideband constantly won't do anything to it, many vehicles run widebands from the factory. They're much higher quality than narrowband sensors, but are more fragile and less tolerant of abuse or misuse.

It's a wideband gauge with an integrated wideband controller I'm assuming? There is a lot that can go wrong, That's not a simple PiC microcontroller-based cheapie narrowband gauge. There are current references, a controller chip, a differential amplifier, and then there are the display parts. Much more built in than a narrowband gauge that just reads O2 voltage.

It sounds like a ground problem, the current source for the O2 sensor can easily be damaged if the unit is grounded through the sensor body (or not at all) instead of being grounded through the gauges' chassis ground. You've probably damaged the gauge; the O2 sensors aren't that fragile themselves but who knows what might happen in an improper grounding situation.

Is the gauge not lighting up, or is it not displaying a sensible reading? There are a few things that can go wrong with the gauge..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 12-12-2006 at 06:37 AM.
Old 12-12-2006, 07:08 AM
braap braap

Originally Posted by VR-4ever
wow!

Picture?

If it worked all the time before you pulled it, and after re-installing it works some of the time, well... that points to a loose connector. Hopefully it's keyed so someone didn't connect it backwards, LOL.
It's keyed, so you can't hook it up backwards.

I'll try to get a picture.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Running a wideband constantly won't do anything to it, many vehicles run widebands from the factory. They're much higher quality than narrowband sensors, but are more fragile and less tolerant of abuse or misuse.

It's a wideband gauge with an integrated wideband controller I'm assuming? There is a lot that can go wrong, That's not a simple PiC microcontroller-based cheapie narrowband gauge. There are current references, a controller chip, a differential amplifier, and then there are the display parts. Much more built in than a narrowband gauge that just reads O2 voltage.

It sounds like a ground problem, the current source for the O2 sensor can easily be damaged if the unit is grounded through the sensor body (or not at all) instead of being grounded through the gauges' chassis ground. You've probably damaged the gauge; the O2 sensors aren't that fragile themselves but who knows what might happen in an improper grounding situation.

Is the gauge not lighting up, or is it not displaying a sensible reading? There are a few things that can go wrong with the gauge..
It's the AEM Uego Gauge. I just have to read my o2s, it's not a airfuel controller at all. I have Hondata for that.

This sucks. A new fucking gauge is $194.

The gauge is digital, so it has no back lighting. It either reads the o2 or it doesn't ,light up at all.

-Jarrod
Old 12-12-2006, 07:15 AM
braap braap

LOL.

I pulled the gauge out, cleaned the contacts. Took a razor blade and trim'd up the plastic from where it melted a little bit. And the clip went all the way down.

It works now

I'll find another ground. Electronics aren't exactly my thing, but I can hook something up like gauges and turbo timers
Old 12-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Jarrod
It's keyed, so you can't hook it up backwards.

I'll try to get a picture.

It's the AEM Uego Gauge. I just have to read my o2s, it's not a airfuel controller at all. I have Hondata for that.

This sucks. A new fucking gauge is $194.

The gauge is digital, so it has no back lighting. It either reads the o2 or it doesn't ,light up at all.

-Jarrod
Who said anything about an air/fuel controller? A wideband O2 sensor has a controller that monitors a whole slew of things and adjusts the heater current, etc.