Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

advice about my wheels

Old 06-25-2009, 05:32 PM
tits anyone?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)
Default advice about my wheels

I have some gsr blades that I would like to polish. My goal is to have them as close to mirror finish as possible. My question is: What kind of polish is best recommended? The wheels aren't scratched up, just dulled a little. I used some mothers wheel polish and a rag, but that didn't really make too much of a difference. Please give some input.....
Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: advice about my wheels

Mother's wheel polish is for maintaining wheels that are already polished. You need some real stuff.

You want a real metal polish (or rouge) and some polishing buffs for a power tool. I can't really tell you any brands that you can find locally, I always get my stuff from industrial supply places. The basic process is to make sure you start with a smooth finish, which may require sanding depending on what surface finish the wheels already have. You need to go through a few grades of metal polish to get to a nice mirror finish, just like when you're sanding. Power tools really help to get a good cutting speed and even pressure, so some cotton or felt buffs on a die grinder or drill should be all you need, and maybe something like a flat disc for the larger flat areas like the outer face of the wheel.

Polishing is a pain in the ass and I hate doing it, that's my opinion. I usually only polish stuff before I send it out to get anodized, just because it makes it look extra pretty once it's anodized.. Chrome and polished stuff isn't my style at all.

Do some quick research with Google, you'll find more info than you can possibly use.

Oh, and look into getting the wheels clearcoated after you're done. They won't look as brightly polished as they would bare, but the clearcoat makes them really easy to clean and maintain without having to do a maintenance polish with something like Mother's. I always think it's a good compromise.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-25-2009 at 09:28 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 12:20 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

double side tape some mirrors on that ish
....or, just use Fabrik8's method...
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

thnaks for the advice, and as for the finish on them now, they are stock gsr blades, just dulled from years of driving, no scratches that are visable. and im not into chrome and flash stuff either, but thats the way the wheels should look, and they are hard to find in a mint polished state. helps when it comes to trading wheels or selling them. thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:15 AM
tits anyone?

thanks for the advice, and as for the finish on them now, they are stock gsr blades, just dulled from years of driving, no scratches that are visable. and im not into chrome and flash stuff either, but thats the way the wheels should look, and they are hard to find in a mint polished state. helps when it comes to trading wheels or selling them. thanks again for the advice.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:16 AM
tits anyone?

i dont know why my computer just did that twice, sorry.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

Is there still factory clear coat on the wheels?
Old 06-26-2009, 11:30 AM
Blang Blang

sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com

i would think there should be. the clear coat is probably what is dull
Old 06-26-2009, 11:43 AM
tits anyone?

im not too sure. i cant really see a clear on it, and it looks the same finish all around. im guessing if they were out of the factory then they still are, but you can see small scratches when you look up close
Old 06-26-2009, 11:48 AM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

Most honda/acura wheels have a clear coat on them.

Quick Reply: advice about my wheels