VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   acura TL... Opinions?? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/acura-tl-opinions-480839/)

SyedUmarAhmad 01-21-2014 07:27 PM

acura TL... Opinions??

So i'll be heading to the dealers this weekend looking to get into a 3rd gen TL. I'm hoping to get some comments/concerns/suggestions/advice on this car, from owners or anyone with experience in it.

Ill be driving the car between 100-200 miles per week between school and work, so ideally looking for something comfortable, slightly luxurious, spacious, good on gas and MOST of all something I can put consistent highway miles on without have to repair something every week/month, besides basic maintenance... i'm coming from daily-ing a g35 coupe 6mt and in my experience, was basically the opposite of all these things.

So far from what research I have done, the most common downsides seem to be

transmission failures(04-05?)
cracked dashes
premature brake wear
hands free link malfunction
and i've read a few select cases now of the trans/engine just moving without the gas pedal engaged, during idle????

I''m mostly aiming for an 06 or 07 auto as it seems they have the least amount of issues but will settle for whatever can maintain good condition present and future.

I'm sure there is at least a few TL on this forum, anyone have some insight?

Trunk Impaired 01-21-2014 07:38 PM

Re: acura TL... Opinions??

Save your money and get an Accord. It's all the things you want without all the looking like an idiot for buying what is essentially a Honda anyway. What's the TL have that a well equipped Accord doesn't? Other than that it seems like you've done your research.

Lay Zee H 01-21-2014 07:42 PM

+1 for well equipped Accord over a TL.

SyedUmarAhmad 01-22-2014 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Race B&on (Post 8255027)
Save your money and get an Accord. It's all the things you want without all the looking like an idiot for buying what is essentially a Honda anyway. What's the TL have that a well equipped Accord doesn't? Other than that it seems like you've done your research.

tru ill be looking at the few accords they have at the dealers also

idriveahonda 01-22-2014 02:31 AM

You can get a new 2013/2014 Accord with good options for low-mid 20's.

I was between the 2013 TSX and the 2013 Accord. The TSX was tighter all around in driving that the Accord. Was quieter in the interior as well.

calisol 01-22-2014 03:36 AM

one of my favorite looking cars that i have owned...... but all the issues you have mentioned is the reason why i sold mine. paid 11k for it and 1.5 years later was barely able to get 7k. the cracking dash is something that will bother you cause you see it every time you drive it you catch yourself staring at it.

slogsr@sage 01-22-2014 05:15 AM

I've had my TL for about 5 years now. The only issue I have had is the cracked dash. However, that didn't start till a few months ago.

The automatic cars do have their transmission issues, but I went with the 6 speed. You get the big brakes and the LSD.

The other issues mentioned I haven't heard of, or are a rarity.

Either accord or TL are a good choice. The accord will be cheaper to purchase, fuel (TL takes 91 or higher), and in some cases maintain (6 speed parts seem to be a little higher than the autos in some cases)

SyedUmarAhmad 01-23-2014 01:28 PM

well the dash issue seems like a pain but in all honesty I wouldnt mind it compared to having major drivetrain/tranny/motor issues or something more serious or costly. In the end every car has its down sides but I would much rather have cosmetic, cheaper fix problems than major ones. One of the main reasons I considered a TL was because of peoples positive feedback and reports of its reliability and low maintenance schedule

SyedUmarAhmad 01-23-2014 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by calisol (Post 8255070)
one of my favorite looking cars that i have owned...... but all the issues you have mentioned is the reason why i sold mine. paid 11k for it and 1.5 years later was barely able to get 7k. the cracking dash is something that will bother you cause you see it every time you drive it you catch yourself staring at it.

how many miles/what year was it that you paid 11k? the ones im currently looking at are all under 70k going between $16k-20k which im guessing is a decent price... i dont wanna buy anything over 80k or be paying a loan longer than 3-4 years.

valdaviper1 01-26-2014 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad (Post 8255021)

Ill be driving the car between 100-200 miles per week between school and work, so ideally looking for something comfortable, slightly luxurious, spacious, good on gas and MOST of all something I can put consistent highway miles on without have to repair something every week/month, besides basic maintenance... i'm coming from daily-ing a g35 coupe 6mt and in my experience, was basically the opposite of all these things.

Perhaps you drive the car wrong? I put on average 3-4k miles a month on my G35 and have put 32k miles on it just since I got it in March and it's been the most reliable car for me(my 13th) and I consistently get up to 28 mpg on the highway. I posted your G on a forum awhile back as I thought it was a great deal for the price, but was told by 2-3 members who live near and have seen you that you drove the piss out of it.

That being said, I'd aim for a 6mt Acura if possible. The TL's seem to have had bad tranny's in the early years and the previous generation as well. I had an auto 2003 Cl Type S and those trannies were ticking time bombs. Great cars otherwise if well cared for, but still wrong wheel drive for me. Good luck in your search. Hit me up if you want to make some money on the Brembo's that are on it.