Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

98 prelude base model vs 00 civic si HELP!

Old 07-03-2010, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike Hunt is a jewel in the roughMike Hunt is a jewel in the roughMike Hunt is a jewel in the roughMike Hunt is a jewel in the rough
Default 98 prelude base model vs 00 civic si HELP!

So next week I am getting a new car. I have 5000 bucks in my budget. I found a 98 prelude base model for 4000 and a 2000 civic si for 3900 at a dealership (sure they will go to 3000 if I pay cash those bastards can't turn down cash lol). I know the prelude has more hp stock along with more torque and I've always liked the body styles and the way the handle more. The reason I am debating is because if I get that si for 3000 ill have 2000 to put stuff into it but if I get the prelude i will only have 1000. PLEASEEEEE HELP!!!
Old 07-03-2010, 11:18 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation
Default Re: 98 prelude base model vs 00 civic si HELP!

What are your long term goals with the car? If you just want a nice stock honda with minimal mods then the Prelude is the better choice. It's faster, handles better, and a bit nicer. If you want to actually build a motor and race the car then the civic would be the cheaper route with more options and way easier to work on/find parts.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:03 AM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

Dude's probably young, isn't liability on a civic rather high due to all the tools that typically drive them? that would be something to consider.
Old 07-04-2010, 05:21 AM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by jarrett2k
Dude's probably young, isn't liability on a civic rather high due to all the tools that typically drive them? that would be something to consider.
On the Si it sure is
Old 07-04-2010, 06:23 AM
flimflam.

Alpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond reputeAlpha.kx has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone in the world has a Civic. I say get a Prelude.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:08 AM
Registered Member

sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed sea6speed

Prelude is considerably nicer and has less chance of being abused. Si has much better aftermarket support.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:16 AM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

1. Buy civic
2. Get title in your name
3. ???
4. Profit
5. Go back and buy the prelude

Preludes in general are going to cost more because they are more reliable and there aren't as many 16-25 year olds driving them. This also means that your insurance would be slightly less each month, and if something were to happen to the car (accident, stolen, etc) you will get more money for a prelude than a civic in general. This particular civic you're looking at normally go for 4-6k depending on condition, mileage, modifications, repair history, etc. See if you can get some more information about both cars before making a serious offer on either. Ask for mileage (both drivetrain and chassis, if there is a difference), maintenance records, # of previous owners, accident history, and go from there. If both of these cars are at legitimate dealerships then they should be willing and able to give you a carfax report and a thorough inspection report from when they received the cars.
Old 07-04-2010, 07:59 AM
ConflictedFelon

jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k jarrett2k

for some reason i have a hard time believing a 2000 si is 3900 at a stealership. i didn't catch that till duder above me posted.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Mike Hunt is a jewel in the roughMike Hunt is a jewel in the roughMike Hunt is a jewel in the roughMike Hunt is a jewel in the rough

thanks guys helped a lot
Old 07-07-2010, 03:28 AM
Radio Killa

nomurstock can only hope to improve

The prices do seems low for a stealership. Make sure that you properly check the vehicles paint, frame and drivetrain. While it is cheap to maintain these vehicles, you don't want to be spending your leftover money on fixing the vehicle.