Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

87 prelude si?

Old 12-12-2003, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slosvt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 87 prelude si?

I might have found a beater car to replace the daily driving duties of the cobra. For the price it seems like a great deal. I dont know much about these cars, so I figured I would ask here.

Is there anything that I need to look for?

The power windows do not work. Any easy way to fix this?

The car is primer in color right now. It is the 5 speed SI. Im not worried about making this car fast or making it look good. Im just wondering what this car would be worth. I "might", big might, paint the car black if I can get it done really cheap! I would just do this so the car is one color. I wouldnt care about the quality of the paint at all. I might just do it with spray cans too!
Old 12-12-2003, 04:16 PM
Go hokies

Chris95GST is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm just wondering, but how much is the car going for? I'm not trying to buy it from under you but I might be in the market for a beater sometime soon and see how they usally go for. Thanks.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:22 PM

The car is going for $400. I can pass the info on to you if I decide not to buy. I need to call the insurance people on Monday to see what kind of rate im going to get. That will make or break this deal, unless im told to steer clear of this car.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:25 PM
Go hokies

Chris95GST is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not trying to get one just yet. Thanks though. Also if you could, could you please PM or post the insurance rates if you don't mind. Thats going to be a big part of buying a beater for me as well. No point of getting one if it cost alot of money.
Old 12-12-2003, 08:54 PM
Registered member

ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN ONEFLYAZN

me too me too please. i need a beater bad.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:30 PM

Reyke has disabled reputation

well being a honda owner and knowing a bit about these cars, the 2nd gen Prelude comes with an A20 motor, what's great about that is those motors are a dime a dozen you can get them out of 84-87 preludes and 86-89 accords, as far as the power windows go, just make a visit to U-Wrench-It, and pick up a motor from any 2 door accord of the above specified year, or any other 2nd Gen Prelude. I know from personal experience that the A20 especially with the FI setup like you are looking at get damned good gas mileage, hell if you ever go on a road trip make sure to space your stops 550- 600 miles between fill-ups. The biggest problem these cars have is in thier 5th gear, you'll know if this needs addressing when you drive the car and go from 2nd straight to 5th and hear a nice crunch, but don't worry it's easy and cheap to replace with factory parts you'll spend 60 bucks. As far as everything else is concerned just do the maintenance and that sucker will never die.
Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 PM

Thanks Reyke. Thats what I wanted to hear! Called the ins. today and was quoted an additional $10 for this car. Ill save more than that in gas. Looks like I might pick it up.