Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

330ci vs. is300

Old 04-12-2006, 03:23 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mac83 has disabled reputation
Default 330ci vs. is300

hey all, i was wondering what everyones educated opinion on these two cars are, or expierence with them if you've had one. Im torn between the two...im looking for one with very low miles, 5 speed (i know i know good luck with the is), great service and maintence records, and something that is extremely modifiable after hte warranty is up....i already know that both of those are very able. What is everyone expierence with the two and what reliability issues /and workability does both have......any pics would also be helpful....thanks everyone -Mike
Old 04-12-2006, 03:52 AM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF
Default Re: 330ci vs. is300

Well, if you are looking something to do cosmetics on and that's it, go with the beemer. Goodluck doing any real performance mods, my understanding is that they are practically maxed out already, and mods don't do much. Not to mention, I'm sure mods on a BMW are an arm and a leg.

I am a fan of Lexus/Toyota, so I'd be all over the Is with a swap.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:19 AM
e46

hotmar hotmar hotmar hotmar hotmar hotmar hotmar hotmar

ill save you the hassle of hookiing up a bmw and sell you my 00' 323, its got everything already done to it.
Old 04-12-2006, 04:56 AM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

330Ci. I've never ridden in an IS300 but I drive a 330Ci vert just about every other day and love it.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:12 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

is300.

because this could be yours

Old 04-12-2006, 05:38 AM
Registered member

D.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud ofD.Nick has much to be proud of

Shit..I want an IS300 now. I always dreamed of boosting one.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:55 AM
e46

orrrr this!

Old 04-12-2006, 06:09 AM
EMF Member #12

brnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond reputebrnzbuddha has a reputation beyond repute

Both have their nice points. Intake, Exhaust and Chip on BMWs is supposed to do wonders. And of course, it is a BMW. But also, I've always been told parts to repair a BMW are expensive as hell. Also, most upgrades (aftermarket) are pricey for a BMW as well.

But IS300s are neat cars as well. They have a pretty nice upgrade path and I love the way they look. I'm not really sure about either's stock performance. But boosted IS300's are great. But even as you said, finding a manual IS300 is a challenge.

Either way, I don't think you can really lose.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:21 AM
e46

Originally Posted by brnzbuddha
But also, I've always been told parts to repair a BMW are expensive as hell. Also, most upgrades (aftermarket) are pricey for a BMW as well.
Upgrades are about the same as any other car you mod. if you go with the top end stuff you will be paying the extra money, but if you want offbrand stuff its not bad priced. AC Schnitzer is probly the best brand and most expensvie for bimmers. and as far as repairs...it is expensvie if you go to a dealer or a place like Auto Haus that specializes in bmw/mercedes...and they charge that much because they figure if you can spend all the money on the car your gonna spend mad money on repairs...BUTTT if you find a good independent shop then you save boatloads of money...which i have fortunatly done, found a great place in newport news thats charges about half of what they charge at a dealer and doesnt bullshit you.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:44 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

330ci's are actually very upgradeable. At the shop I used to work at I was constantly flashing ECU's, installing cams etc. I personally believe that the bimmer is a better platform, because RWD>FWD. There are a lot of brands that make GREAT appearance parts for the 330ci. One of my favorites would have to be Racing Dynamics/Electrodyne's kits.