Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

240SX First Car...Should I go for SR20DET or No?

Old 02-23-2013, 06:16 AM
Hellafunctional

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93 Garrett93
Default Re: 240SX First Car...Should I go for SR20DET or No?

Originally Posted by Archer
Realize that when you buy a modified car you are going to end up with someone else's clustfuck 99% of the time. Buy a nice original stock car and modify it to your liking. You will know exactly what is done to it and how it was done rather than trying to play catch up and fix the previous owners' mistakes after the fact.
Originally Posted by FLiPrayZin240sx
If you dont know how to wrench, you have no business owning a swapped engine car. Specially not a an engine that could potentially be sitting in a junkyard for 20 yrs that was more than likely abused all its life. If you buy one with a swap in it, I'd be wary of picking up somebody else's headache/project.

Then, add to the fact that you could be buying a 20-25 yr old chassis (S13s), last thing you need is a project car while going to college.
This. If I learned anything working on cars this is it. I've had the most reliable/ most fun cars building it from stock. That way I knew all the problems and knew what I was changing out. Also you learn how to change things specifically on that car by doing that. If you are going to get remotely involved with cars you should go this route.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:17 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

I think the drift craze still has people a little on edge. Maybe you should reconsider trying to learn to drift at least until you have more resources.

Also I'd like to add that the guy I sold my s13 to balled it up whilst learning to drift about 6 months later.

For reference-

Last edited by blackout; 02-24-2013 at 02:21 PM.
Old 02-27-2013, 11:52 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Originally Posted by Kim Jong Illin'
I lost
Old 02-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Danny@respecgarage

RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE RE-SPECGARAGE

Finish college!!!!!

Best advise i can give you if you really want to pursue this is to find a well maintained car first. A 240 is going to be the easiest, and cheapest way to do it. If i had 6k to spend id buy a truck first. Last thing you want is breaking down on the track with no way to get home.

If you must buy a drift car:
1. Find an uswapped 5speed 240
2. Buy coilovers
3. Weld the diff
4. race bucket
5. Get a Good steering wheel

Perform all of the necessary maintenance a high milage KA will need first. MAke this car the most reliable car you have ever owned. Now where do you start modding......"suspension" Replace bushings, toe arms, camber arms, tension arms.....GET it!!!

IF YOU MUST HAVE POWER!!!!
You dont need power to go out and drift. SEAT TIME SEAT TIME SEAT TIME is the number one thing you need to have. Learn car control first and then you can start adding power. SR20DET is a great starter engine, but it wont be cheap to extra a lot of power. An LS1, 5.3vortec, 6.0vortec in a 240 is the way to go. for around $7.5k you could have a running 240 that will have tons of power on a stock power plant. When the time comes to swap out the engine the internet has made great mechanics. Do some research and you will be ok.

Best thing i ever did was get rid of my sr20det and learned my skills on a 125hp stock ka.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

markell27 has disabled reputation

I haven't had a ton of cars, but I've had a S14 with SR20 for the last 4 years as a HPDE (road race) car. This is in no way a daily driver car because stuff is going to break and cheap parts aren't going to be around the corner at Advanced Auto. However, there are a ton of cheap parts and a ton of second hand parts. My SR has been a rock star and many people seem to really happy with RB, LS, 2JZ, KAT, etc. conversions.There are so many parts that are interchangeable with other Nissans and it's incredibly easy to work on. Unless you really want the experience of swapping the motor, there are a ton of SR20 240sx out there and buying it already swapped will save you a ton of money (think motor, intercooler, fans, wiring, BOV, etc.). IMO in the HP to $ ratio can't beat by many other cars. Be prepared to spend a lot more money if you are going to do any motorsports. Either stuff with break or you'll want to do more modifications. I've easily spent $8k on the car since I've had it with turbo upgrades, stand-alone ECU, wheels, tires, calipers, brakes, tuning, paint, etc. In the same token my S14 can out perform a fair amount $20-40k cars.

However, if I could do it all over again. I'd get something super cheap like like a BMW E30 or something. Those motors are bulletproof and there is a huge motorsports scene behind them (maybe not drift). They are easily half the price and would have been great to learn on until I was ready to move to something more powerful. Obviously this is through my experience with road racing.

Good luck.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:38 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

i like when the board gets like this. less useless trolling, more actual conversation and knowledge-sharing. +rep to both posts above.

also felt like it's worth mentioning. a 944 turbo has all you need for a competent track car; no motor swap required. although the cost of entry might be a tad higher (~$9000-12000 for a good one), and the maintenance/upgrades will be higher. but it really is one of the best purpose-built track car platforms for the money you can find.

i can almost promise i'll have one within the next 5 years.
Old 03-04-2013, 06:08 AM
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia

Originally Posted by Race B&on
See if you're "about the auto life"? What does that even mean? We gonna blood in blood out or some shit?
lol weak sauce