Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

2015 Subaru WRX STI

Old 03-12-2014, 11:36 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired
Default Re: 2015 Subaru WRX STI

Originally Posted by blackout
it just doesn't actually look like an evo.
Except for in pretty much every single way possible. They're identical.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:01 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by sidewaysil80
The front ends are damn near identical. The overall lines may be different but its blatantly obvious they mirrored the evo. Regarding performance, I'm not sure what the STI would cost but I would take the zl1 or even a base stingray vette over one any day of the week.
There's no point in arguing over aesthetics on vadriven, and since you're not even aware of basic cost figures for very well recognized cars in the enthusiast community I guess I'll educate you. The sti is roughly 20k less msrp than the zl1, and I don't even know what a vette is going for these days as they're actually raising the prices to meet demand. Granted, performance would be commensurate but I'll probably be doing a decent amount of local travel and if the weather stays anything like it has been this year I could definitely use the awd.

The vette would be a no-brainer but I need a backseat. Maybe in a couple years... Either that or the aforementioned f type.
Old 03-12-2014, 05:23 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by blackout
There's no point in arguing over aesthetics on vadriven, and since you're not even aware of basic cost figures for very well recognized cars in the enthusiast community I guess I'll educate you. The sti is roughly 20k less msrp than the zl1, and I don't even know what a vette is going for these days as they're actually raising the prices to meet demand. Granted, performance would be commensurate but I'll probably be doing a decent amount of local travel and if the weather stays anything like it has been this year I could definitely use the awd.

The vette would be a no-brainer but I need a backseat. Maybe in a couple years... Either that or the aforementioned f type.
Yeah, before you made all that known I was going to mention how C6 Z06 prices are falling and will be dropping like a rock when there are more base c7's out and the new Z06 bows in about a year. Actually, I stand by this. Get a cheap bugeye WRX and wait for the Z06.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Yeah, before you made all that known I was going to mention how C6 Z06 prices are falling and will be dropping like a rock when there are more base c7's out and the new Z06 bows in about a year. Actually, I stand by this. Get a cheap bugeye WRX and wait for the Z06.
nope. if i get a vette it will be the c7- i like the c6 and all i just have a new stigma vs used cars, and the c7 just looks infinitely better imo (which is saying a lot... but yeah it does). in a perfect world i'd get an sti AND a c7 z06 within a couple years but i'm not counting on it... in fact i really don't know if i'd spring for the z06 over a base c7 even if i could afford it as i would very rarely track such an expensive car and honestly what's the point if you don't track it fairly regularly? i'm not ballin like that... and it would still be a toss up between the c7 and an f type.

and the main reason i haven't liked the sti a whole lot up til now is the looks. the 05 and i think ~12ish sedan looked ok but i really like this one. i still don't think it looks like an evo, in fact i never made the connection until i saw this thread but i guess that's ok, as i like the way the evo looks too but i wouldn't buy one.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:27 PM
master debater

interestingly enough i was actually considering starting a thread to stir up a conversation of the sti over some of the more expensive/arguably lesser performing options out there such as the s4/5, m3/4, , is-f, etc. i don't have performance figures in front of me, but based on what i've read on the subaru it would probably perform better than most of those cars (possibly excluding the m), but at about 2/3 or less of the price. i'm pretty much over the steez thing of the "luxury sports car" having driven a 335i for the past few years (granted, 335 != m3 but still...), and the fucking ludicrous maintenance/repair costs if you decide to try to keep one past warranty. i'd also be more inclined to actually use this car for its intended purpose and get it on the track occasionally.

the sti is seeming more and more appealing every day.

Last edited by blackout; 03-12-2014 at 06:31 PM.
Old 03-12-2014, 06:43 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Honestly, there's a lot of argument lately that for the price of an STI, you could have had a regular WRX plus a decent set of coilovers, aggressive pads, basic bolt-ons and a tune (maybe a few other minor upgrades), and come out on top. Watch your spending and score some good discounts on the car itself and on lightly used parts and I could definitely see why people are saying this.
Old 03-13-2014, 02:46 AM
master debater

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Honestly, there's a lot of argument lately that for the price of an STI, you could have had a regular WRX plus a decent set of coilovers, aggressive pads, basic bolt-ons and a tune (maybe a few other minor upgrades), and come out on top. Watch your spending and score some good discounts on the car itself and on lightly used parts and I could definitely see why people are saying this.
i suppose it's possible, but that doesn't cover the diff/drivetrain, which from what i understand is one of the key differences of the car. there's no way that would be worth it. plus i think i'm done working on my own cars; it's just become so much more of a chore than any kind of enjoyment these days. funny, because i always wanted a garage to do this very thing but now that i have one i'm over it. i'm not saying i'd have a shop put on a cai or exhaust, but there's no way i'd be swapping a diff out.

i don't have any empirical evidence as i've only just now started looking at subarus but from what i already know of the subaru community, a lot of this talk may have just originated from the boneheads on nasioc that can't afford an sti. you used to actually get these sorts of arguments with the bmw crowd over the m cars, pre-e92. i'm sure there's a lot of nice modded wrx's out there but i'd trust the manufacturer in this case over myself or even a reputable shop. besides, i'd be buying an sti to SAVE money over some of the other options i'm considering so it's really not that big a deal.