Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

2014 emission and inspection testing changes?

Old 12-13-2014, 11:10 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakedrift1217 has disabled reputation
Default 2014 emission and inspection testing changes?

Today I went to local shop and tried to get both emission and inspection tested.

Beside my car being low so they refused to put it on the lifter, the guy at the shop told me that I have tuned ecu so they it wont pass the testing anyway.

He said the law in VA have changed since 2014 July that the new testing machine now requires everything on ecu have to be hooked up in order to pass the test. There, he recommended me to put the stock ecu map back and come back for the testing.

Anyone have this experienced or is it just my local shop that BS about this?

It sounded like VA state is trying real hard to abandon modified cars on the road more and more.

In addition, I have full bolts ons with HFC so I find it no reason not passing emission test besides my ride height and ECU issue the tech mentioned about.

Thank you for your thoughts!

If you have any place that doesn't have those weird emission test machine and low ride friendly shops near centreville VA, please share with me.
Old 12-14-2014, 02:34 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass
Default Re: 2014 emission and inspection testing changes?

I have no idea if this is true or not but either way, I'm so glad they don't do emissions testing in Hampton roads.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:42 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you have things on the ECU that aren't hooked up, that has nothing to do with the map in the ECU.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you have things on the ECU that aren't hooked up, that has nothing to do with the map in the ECU.
Well that's what I thought. But the guy said I can come back for test after having my stock ecu map back. Hmmmm
Old 12-14-2014, 09:27 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Yardjass
I have no idea if this is true or not but either way, I'm so glad they don't do emissions testing in Hampton roads.
I envy you much
Old 12-14-2014, 09:44 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by brakedrift1217
I envy you much
I think if I lived up there, I'd get a 25+ year old car and register it as a classic so I could just tell them to fuck off. I don't even think my cars would fail a sniffer, especially not my stock '12 daily but its just one more pain in the ass thing that you shouldn't have to do. Especially if you're not one of those fuckwits who never changes their oil or waxes their car or rotates their tires, etc. Those are the morons with the bad emissions equipment who you can smell and hear before you actually see their shitboxes.

Hell, if you ask me, the fact that I've already had to get a 2012 model year vehicle safety inspected several times is fucking bullshit in itself. Why the fuck did I have to have my vehicle inspected when I owned it for a year and it has like 10,000 miles on it?

Last edited by Yardjass; 12-14-2014 at 09:46 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:26 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by brakedrift1217
Well that's what I thought. But the guy said I can come back for test after having my stock ecu map back. Hmmmm
I'm extremely confused about how he knows that the ecu map isn't stock. He has no way of telling that I know of, unless you told him. He has no magical ecu program comparison tool that he uses. Unless he's actually flagging you for a swapped ecu with a conversion harness? It doesn't sound like you have a good grasp on what he was saying.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:21 PM
Registered member

I'm extremely confused about how he knows that the ecu map isn't stock. He has no way of telling that I know of, unless you told him. He has no magical ecu program comparison tool that he uses. Unless he's actually flagging you for a swapped ecu with a conversion harness? It doesn't sound like you have a good grasp on what he was saying.
He hooked up the test machine and several stuff like cat detect etc has been not hooked up. So no I didn't told him my ecu is tuned but he asked me whether my ecu has been played as soon he found out the several readings on the tester as not connected.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:34 PM
Racetracks

So you likely have an OBD1 ECU on an OBD2 car, so there was no second oxygen sensor to read catalyst efficiency. Am I getting warm...?
Old 12-19-2014, 10:06 PM
Registered member

So you likely have an OBD1 ECU on an OBD2 car, so there was no second oxygen sensor to read catalyst efficiency. Am I getting warm...?
It's 2011 Evo x. And it's obdII ecu. I don't remember the list of what was not hooked up, but there were about three stuff that was not hooked up through the system. May be warning stuff? I don't know to be honest.

Quick Reply: 2014 emission and inspection testing changes?