Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

2011/2012 Jetta Diesel sportwagon

Old 07-25-2011, 01:29 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol
Default 2011/2012 Jetta Diesel sportwagon

Anyone on here own one of these things?

We are looking to maybe purchase a new car and due to rising costs of fuel and my curiosity of diesel vehicles having never owned one, I'm looking for inputs from driven members on these.

Are they reliable other than the DSG (if we get one it will be a manual) Anything I should watch out for on them or anything to note about owning a diesel car?

This seems to be the most reasonably priced diesel wagon on the market as well as the best gas mileage.

We did look at a 3 series diesel from BMW but I'm not impressed with the gas mileage out of those and I don't like the idea of an Audi since its just a churched up VW.
Old 07-25-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered Member

boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge
Default Re: 2011/2012 Jetta Diesel sportwagon

I"m not sure about the diesel DSG (if it's even different), but I've heard great things about VW's DSG transmission.
Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol

see IVe heard horrible things about the DSG...major reliability issues from people... so I was just thinking manual...besides its cheaper that way
Old 07-27-2011, 09:00 AM
Lurks

Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r Erays3r

Been looking at these myself. Biggest issue I could find is with the High Pressure Fuel Pump. It genades and ruins the entire fuel system of the car. Sometimes VW will replace it , other times they wont siting a Misfuel with gas.

Check this thread
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=286380

Its been a great resource so far.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

I own a 2010 Jetta TDI. Im pretty sure it's all the same?

But I have 25k miles on mine without a single issue. The engine is loud on cold start but after it's warms up for a few minutes, it quiets down. There is virtually no wait time for the glow plugs to heat up. The light comes on and goes off instantly in 30 degree weather. From what I have read, it would have to be below 0 to take any longer than that.

The transmission has been fine. But you have to get used to it. It's not your typical transmission. I have the 6spd auto. It's like the car wants you to drive slow. If you try to mat the gas pedal it bounces all around shifting funny. But if gradually throttle it, it will shift smoothly. It works well for me since I am a habitual speeder. This slows me down But you can get around this by throwing it in sport mode and it shifts like a normal car, and gets the mpg of a normal car as well.

I love this car. 41mpg hwy from the factory. At 25k miles it's average between 46-47 mpg hwy.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Standartenführer

euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus euthorus

aside from the occasional tranny issues I have 2 co-workers who swear by them. And it's probably the easiest car to make your own garage bio-diesel for (small tank = small processor)