Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

2004 Kia Rio Cinco Rear Wheel Bearing Nut Torque

Old 08-08-2010, 01:44 PM
Slow as Shit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: 2004 Kia Rio Cinco Rear Wheel Bearing Nut Torque

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
1994 Kia Rio + 16 model years since then = Probably

By the way, you can probably visit a dealer service department and they'd tell you if you asked nicely.
Slim chance, but maybe. Sometimes, we can't stand being bothered by people who just want "free advice", especially when we are busy. If a person doesn't know the info or can't find it, they shouldn't be touching it.
Old 08-08-2010, 01:55 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

anytime ive gone and asked for specific info for my mom's car (lincoln) ive either: a) not been told or b) been told they dont know, but can do the work for me

google told me 190 ft-lbs tq tho OP
Old 08-13-2010, 12:45 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by boredom
anytime ive gone and asked for specific info for my mom's car (lincoln) ive either: a) not been told or b) been told they dont know, but can do the work for me

google told me 190 ft-lbs tq tho OP

You searched incorrectly. Front wheel bearing torque is that, but the rear is a standard double taper roller bearing.

Torque them to 190 ftlbs and see what happens.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:24 PM
management

boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom boredom

my bad.

i almost thought your reply was serious until i realized i had never heard of a double taper roller bearing...almost googled it too
Old 08-13-2010, 06:16 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by boredom
my bad.

i almost thought your reply was serious until i realized i had never heard of a double taper roller bearing...almost googled it too
Seriously? Many non-driven rear bearings are tapered rollers and need to have a proper preload adjustment. A lot of cars have a cartridge unit (like Civics) and are pretty much the same as most front bearings in FWD cars where you just torque to a certain spec. The difference is that the double taper bearings are two separate bearings so you're actually setting load of the two bearings in relation to each other. The cartridge bearings are just a single bearing unit and you're just torquing against the single solid center sleeve of the bearing.

What I want to know is why the hell Kia uses double taper rollers? They must be cheaper, because there isn't really any other reason to use them nowadays on the rear of a FWD car. Actually, if they're a torsion beam rear, that would probably explain it. But it's still most likely because the bearings are cheaper.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 08-13-2010 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:25 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Seriously? Many non-driven rear bearings are tapered rollers and need to have a proper preload adjustment. A lot of cars have a cartridge unit (like Civics) and are pretty much the same as most front bearings in FWD cars where you just torque to a certain spec. The difference is that the double taper bearings are two separate bearings so you're actually setting load of the two bearings in relation to each other. The cartridge bearings are just a single bearing unit and you're just torquing against the single solid center sleeve of the bearing.

What I want to know is why the hell Kia uses double taper rollers? They must be cheaper, because there isn't really any other reason to use them nowadays on the rear of a FWD car. Actually, if they're a torsion beam rear, that would probably explain it. But it's still most likely because the bearings are cheaper.

Thanks for quoting before dipshit could edit. I was enjoying "The Expendables" and didnt feel like dealing with this thread.

First damn result in google

They use a solid beam axle, which is cheap to make, even cheaper to use two taper roller bearings.