Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1st Time Reckless Driving Summons - Need Advice

Old 07-25-2010, 05:32 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IllestVa has disabled reputation
Default 1st Time Reckless Driving Summons - Need Advice

I was on my way to Va. Beach for a little vacation time with my girlfriend, she flew from Iwakuni, Japan for my bday. I wanted to leave early in the morning to beat any kind of traffic. Around 6:30am, I was traveling down 64 and a state trooper pulls me over near Kent County. He tells me that I was doing 95mph in a 65mph. I have to admit I was speeding but wasnt swerving in and out of traffic, just straight up cruizing lol. I tried to reason with him, saying that I was getting tired from the travel, was in a conversation with my girl and didnt really notice how fast I was going.

This is my first reckless/ticket, driving record is clean as a wistle. I have taken a drivers improvement class, advice from my recruiter. Soo, now Im just worried about the outcome.

By the way, how much would a traffic lawyer cost?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:34 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: 1st Time Reckless Driving Summons - Need Advice

Originally Posted by IllestVa
I was on my way to Va. Beach for a little vacation time with my girlfriend, she flew from Iwakuni, Japan for my bday. I wanted to leave early in the morning to beat any kind of traffic. Around 6:30am, I was traveling down 64 and a state trooper pulls me over near Kent County. He tells me that I was doing 95mph in a 65mph. I have to admit I was speeding but wasnt swerving in and out of traffic, just straight up cruizing lol. I tried to reason with him, saying that I was getting tired from the travel, was in a conversation with my girl and didnt really notice how fast I was going.

This is my first reckless/ticket, driving record is clean as a wistle. I have taken a drivers improvement class, advice from my recruiter. Soo, now Im just worried about the outcome.

By the way, how much would a traffic lawyer cost?
lawyer will probably be around 500...maybe marlinspike will chime in on that
Old 07-25-2010, 05:35 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

No two lawyers cost the same. I kinda wish they still had the crazy law for over 20 reckless tickets.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:36 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

So you were going 30 over in a 65, and tried to use the excuse that you were tired and distracted? Sweet.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
Registered Member

Im suprised he didnt take my license. I hope he dosent show up in court.

yea tried that excuse. But 95mph dosent feel fast at all when the highway is clear. Pretty much a safe driver, just like to have a lil fun here and there.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:40 PM
woot! :D

The Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these partsThe Guy is infamous around these parts

"Sorry officer. I was texting on my cell phone and cleaning the gun I'm using to shoot myself in the foot."
Old 07-25-2010, 05:41 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

No, far be it for me to guess the costs of defense lawyers. What I will say is you should probably get a lawyer. 95mph in the country is...no bueno. First consults with criminal lawyers are pretty much always free, and it's not an abuse of that to meet with 3 lawyers for free and then hire the one you feel most comfortable with.

If you're really hard up for cash...this isn't advice, it's just a thought. You get an appeal of right (though, if you lose, you pay for exercising that right) from District to Circuit. In general, it's easier to get convicted in district court. If someone is really hard up for cash, it might be a smart gamble to try it on your own in district and then hire a lawyer for circuit if unhappy with the result. On the other hand, given that it's not exactly rare to go to jail for exceeding 90mph, you might want to have a lawyer for both of your bites at the apple.

BTW, next time you try to talk your way out of a reckless driving ticket, try not saying things that indicate a lack of control of your vehicle.

Im suprised he didnt take my license. I hope he dosent show up in court.
LOL, good luck with that.

Last edited by marlinspike; 07-25-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by The Guy
"Sorry officer. I was texting on my cell phone and cleaning the gun I'm using to shoot myself in the foot."
LuLz
Old 07-25-2010, 05:42 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

. I hope he dosent show up in court.
keep wishing...your really think he wont show for a chance to pop you with 35mph over...yeah ...
Old 07-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, Im tight on cash right now. All I have is a clean record and a certificate from the drivers improvement class.

Quick Reply: 1st Time Reckless Driving Summons - Need Advice