Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1994 f250 turbo diesel, non-powerstroke questions

Old 07-27-2010, 05:18 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24
Default 1994 f250 turbo diesel, non-powerstroke questions

I am looking at buying a 94 f250 it's the turbo diesel IDI 7.3, non-powerstroke. Most of the information I am finding is just about the powerstroke engine. The one I am looking at the guy is asking a little over kbb for it, which may not be a bad deal if it's a solid truck. I don't plan on doing more than just bolt ons with it. I plan to use it for hauling/towing, and just a general work truck, I have no intentions of racing it or trying to make gobs of power. What are your thoughts on reliablity and also what do you think would be a fair price (assuming it's in good to fair shape) on a 94 regular cab, 4x4, auto with 169k on it? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Registered Member

Benz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond reputeBenz0 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 1994 f250 turbo diesel, non-powerstroke questions

wow 167k miles on a 94?!?!? that's awesome...as for a powerstroke or not if it has an injector pump in the engine compartment it is NON a powerstroke. Injector pump looks like a metal box with a fuel line going to each cylinder if there isn't one it IS a powerstroke

The engine is fine and a diesel one thing to worry about fords is the fuel tank/lines and water accumulation....I am not sure the older fuel filter housing have the pump/drain port inside the engine compartment. It may be inline on the fuel line womewhere but something to look for when or if you buy this truck. REPLACE the FILTER FIRST or ask if it has been done.

Oh and pre-2000 diesels are LOUD
MAKE SURE IT HAS A BLOCK HEATER PLUG! Located around the front clip/bumper area - LIFESAVER in the winter!
Old 07-27-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24 cardana24

Yeah I know that it is an IDI engine, and then the powerstroke is a DI engine. Is that the only big difference? The way the fuel is delivered? I know that the IDI runs a higher compression ratio than the powerstroke so it does not like boost as much, but that is not a big concern of mine since I only plan on adding bolt ons and trying to make it run cooler and more efficient. I am more looking to find out other people's experience with them and how reliable they are.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:01 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Dont fuck with it and it will be fine.

7.3 IDI's are meh in the power department, but being a 94 it should be a turbo, which was slightly less anemic.

I would put the largest trans cooler on it you can find, and keep the fluid changed. Other than that, drive the fuck out of it and expect to have to put an injection pump on it unless its been done in the last 30k miles or so. And run fuel treatment, ULSD kills those pumps like a bitch.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Dont fuck with it and it will be fine.

7.3 IDI's are meh in the power department, but being a 94 it should be a turbo, which was slightly less anemic.

I would put the largest trans cooler on it you can find, and keep the fluid changed. Other than that, drive the fuck out of it and expect to have to put an injection pump on it unless its been done in the last 30k miles or so. And run fuel treatment, ULSD kills those pumps like a bitch.
Yeah it is turbo charged.

What fuel treatment is suggested? Is it something you pour in the tank at fill up?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:54 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Power Service is the most widely available.

I used to sell Stanadyne treatment, but I was told by my vendor the manufacturer of it went bankrupt and it is no longer available.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
Power Service is the most widely available.

I used to sell Stanadyne treatment, but I was told by my vendor the manufacturer of it went bankrupt and it is no longer available.
Is that something you use in every tank of fuel?
Old 07-28-2010, 05:33 AM
The Pro to call.

yes