Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1990 model year eligible for VA antique plates?

Old 02-06-2015, 04:00 AM
Shooting 63's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda
Default Re: 1990 model year eligible for VA antique plates?

I took my Integra to get an inspection before I decided to tear it apart. I had someone argue with me about airbags.

It doesn't have ANY airbags...it never did. Inspector argued and said something dumb like "all cars after 1992 were required to have airbags".

Sorry pal, G2 Integra's don't.

Sure, fail me for a cracked windshield...but not for airbags that the car never had. Look at the fucking dashboard...there is no airbag light on it.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:12 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
I took my Integra to get an inspection before I decided to tear it apart. I had someone argue with me about airbags.

It doesn't have ANY airbags...it never did. Inspector argued and said something dumb like "all cars after 1992 were required to have airbags".

Sorry pal, G2 Integra's don't.

Sure, fail me for a cracked windshield...but not for airbags that the car never had. Look at the fucking dashboard...there is no airbag light on it.
Still have the stock steering wheel? Either that or I'd just take it to a Honda dealer, where they aren't retarded.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:05 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Still have the stock steering wheel? Either that or I'd just take it to a Honda dealer, where they aren't retarded.
I can sure get one. Beside the point though...if my stock steering wheel doesn't have an airbag I have every right to replace it with another non-SRS steering wheel.
Old 02-06-2015, 08:39 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

I can sure get one. Beside the point though...if my stock steering wheel doesn't have an airbag I have every right to replace it with another non-SRS steering wheel.
Yup, which is one of the reasons I love my Z.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:22 PM
Registered member

Deimos has disabled reputation

Testing its operation, obtaining repairs or maintenance, selling the vehicle or trailer, transportation to and from events as described in number 1 above and for the occasional pleasure driving not to exceed 250 miles from your residence.
That's all one clause and is the only part that the 250 miles limit applies to, you can drive it as far as you need to for all the other reasons.

It could also be argued that it means anywhere within a 250 mile radius circle of your house.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:31 PM
Registered member

Deimos has disabled reputation

Inspector argued and said something dumb like "all cars after 1992 were required to have airbags".
Well... He was half right. All cars after '89 are required to have a "passive restraint" for the driver. Generally that means an airbag, but the shitty automatic seatbelt system counted for that requirement too.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:41 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by Deimos
Well... He was half right. All cars after '89 are required to have a "passive restraint" for the driver. Generally that means an airbag, but the shitty automatic seatbelt system counted for that requirement too.
Pretty much anything built by the Japanese had those seatbelts because they hadn't done much research into airbags at the time.

The really obvious example would be the Mazda built Ford Probe which had the seatbelts while everything else in Ford's lineup had airbags.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:34 AM
FLR
Registered Member

FLR is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have a 1990 car that I registered antique in 2015. However, now I have a 1993 that I would like to register as Antique now before 2018. I found a thread from 2007 where people are talking about registering a 1983 model in 2007. https://www.vadriven.com/forums/auto...rginia-213696/

Here is the actual text from the Code of Virginia:
"Antique motor vehicle" means every motor vehicle, as defined in this section, which was actually manufactured or designated by the manufacturer as a model manufactured in a calendar year not less than 25 years prior to January 1 of each calendar year and is owned solely as a collector's item.

So the DMV does a really bad job of interpreting (see below) or trying to relay the law. Virtually every car is designated a model year in the previous year. For example, my 1993 car is built in October 1992 (although DMV has no info about this), and it is common knowledge that the first 1993 models were sold and designated as such in late 1992.

Basically, my 1993 model car was 1 year old as of Jan 1, 1993 by the above. So 24 years later on Jan 1, 2017 it becomes eligible for antique.

I sent an email to DMV but it usually takes a week for them to respond and they probably won't get it right, especially if the person tries to interpret their own text.

Can anyone confirm that it is possible to register my 1993 now in 2017 as Antique?

Originally Posted by GripSpec
The only time I drive my S13 is to and from the track so it would be nice to lose the state inspection requirement. Last year I saw a few 1989 vehicles with vintage VA tags so I thought I would be eligible as of 1/1/15. The curve ball is the dmv site states "If you own a passenger vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique!"

This leads you to think that a car has to 26 years old instead of 25. Has anyone had experience registering a 1988-1990 car for vintage tags over the past few years?
Old 11-29-2017, 04:44 PM
±RepLegion

92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20 92_SR20

If you take 15 seconds to read your own quote, they specify model year not production year.

So no, your 1993 isn't 25 years old.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:36 PM
FLR
Registered Member

FLR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 92_SR20
If you take 15 seconds to read your own quote, they specify model year not production year.

So no, your 1993 isn't 25 years old.
"designated by the manufacturer as a model manufactured in a calendar year not less than 25 years prior to January 1 of each calendar year"

Quick Reply: 1990 model year eligible for VA antique plates?