Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

1990 model year eligible for VA antique plates?

Old 01-21-2015, 05:11 AM
Shooting 63's

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda
Default Re: 1990 model year eligible for VA antique plates?

This will actually be quite a nice option for "race cars" as well. The "no inspection" thing makes it great, and you typically would only drive those cars to shows or events as well.

Well that and the "fuck it this will be fun" days where you take it to work.

Come on 2017.
Old 01-23-2015, 05:22 AM
Registered member

jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02 jaqattack02

I've pretty much decided to get one on my Z sometime between now and my next inspection.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:32 PM
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar Roxtar

as soon as I get my 944 running again, she's getting antique plates.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Registered member

GripSpec has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by GripSpec
The only time I drive my S13 is to and from the track so it would be nice to lose the state inspection requirement. Last year I saw a few 1989 vehicles with vintage VA tags so I thought I would be eligible as of 1/1/15. The curve ball is the dmv site states "If you own a passenger vehicle, trailer, semi-trailer or motorcycle with a model year that is more than 25 model years old before January 1 of the current calendar year, you've got an antique!"

This leads you to think that a car has to 26 years old instead of 25. Has anyone had experience registering a 1988-1990 car for vintage tags over the past few years?
Update: Made the trip to DMV yesterday. They didn't give mean any trouble with the model year so that question is solved. It seemed like their made concern was proof of ownership of a primary vehicle. They looked up the primary VIN i listed on the paperwork and had me verify that I still owned it and that it was still insured. Pretty quick process, in and out in 30 mins.

The verbiage on the DMV site could use some updating, but I can definitely confirm now that 1990 model year vehicles can be registered as an antique.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:32 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

Originally Posted by GripSpec
Update: Made the trip to DMV yesterday. They didn't give mean any trouble with the model year so that question is solved. It seemed like their made concern was proof of ownership of a primary vehicle. They looked up the primary VIN i listed on the paperwork and had me verify that I still owned it and that it was still insured. Pretty quick process, in and out in 30 mins.

The verbiage on the DMV site could use some updating, but I can definitely confirm now that 1990 model year vehicles can be registered as an antique.
Appreciate the first-hand input!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:27 AM
Registered member

804_mini has disabled reputation

I was going to go this route with my E30 but I was worried about the yearly mileage cap. Good to know that it's not something that needs to be reported.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

boltbuster has disabled reputation

25 years for Vintage 30 for Antique, Inspection required for Vintage not for Antique, A Primary vehicle is required for Antique plates and there are restrictions on driving only to meets and events etc..this includes maintenace and repairs. Ive never been stopped for mine but followed often.

Not sure how you guys feel but Kinda of upsetting to see people use them for just get over the system , when they have no intention in fixing the vehicle and only use it as a daily driver for work.....Va. is really an @ss when it comes to owning a car and all we need is some idiot to make a bureaucrat want to change the law to ruin it for us all.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:09 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

I believe what I read said no inspection is possible on a 25 year old car. Regardless, yes it is bullshit when people game the system. I don't know how they get away with it. A run down shitbox should be easy for a cop to spot. If it really isn't a daily driver, you can usually tell.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:44 PM
Shooting 63's

What most of us are using this option for is "show" cars or "race" cars.

I'm tired of trying to pass a fucking inspection because somebody wants to argue over a race application catalytic converter saying it is a test pipe. That, and more and more places are getting stupid strict on suspension as well. I can't lower my car any...fuck you..have you seen a Corvette, all new BMW's...etc?

Getting out of the inspection is the main reason for me. EVERY person you see on here...posting in this thread...takes care of their car better than the average joe.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:04 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by idriveahonda
What most of us are using this option for is "show" cars or "race" cars.

I'm tired of trying to pass a fucking inspection because somebody wants to argue over a race application catalytic converter saying it is a test pipe. That, and more and more places are getting stupid strict on suspension as well. I can't lower my car any...fuck you..have you seen a Corvette, all new BMW's...etc?

Getting out of the inspection is the main reason for me. EVERY person you see on here...posting in this thread...takes care of their car better than the average joe.
Yep. There should at least me a minimum mileage where you aren't required to re-inspect. My Z is due at the end of the month and probably has 2000 miles more than when it passed last year. There's no fucking reason I should have to go do it again.

Quick Reply: 1990 model year eligible for VA antique plates?