Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

03 cobra gears

Old 10-07-2010, 03:42 PM
S a D u B

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW
Default 03 cobra gears

My buddy is buying gears for his 03 cobra, pullied, ic, clutch, headers, catback. What's best and where? 4.10s? It's a street car making 450whp.

Let me know, so he doesn't buy something retarded.

Thanks.

Flim Flam and lord humongo where you at?
Old 10-07-2010, 04:17 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis
Default Re: 03 cobra gears

t56 already has shorterish gear ratios within. If it is a street car I would keep it around 3.73 max. That is going to fall all under preference.

Flamz is going to say take IRS out ASAP when he pops his head in :P

Next who tuned it before if it has even been tuned. That is going to make all of the difference.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:50 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by JROW
My buddy is buying gears for his 03 cobra, pullied, ic, clutch, headers, catback. What's best and where? 4.10s? It's a street car making 450whp.

Let me know, so he doesn't buy something retarded.

Thanks.

Flim Flam and lord humongo where you at?
stock is 3.55....

I'd go with 3.90s max if it's a street car since 4.10s will make the first 2 gears useless but if he's down with that then great....

Gas mileage with the 4.10s will be a moot point because of 6th.
Old 10-08-2010, 01:04 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Geee...rrzz...?
Old 10-08-2010, 01:06 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by Scoutn757
t56 already has shorterish gear ratios within. If it is a street car I would keep it around 3.73 max. That is going to fall all under preference.

Flamz is going to say take IRS out ASAP when he pops his head in :P
I'll take the diff. It needs to go in a WRX, along with that T56.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:45 AM
S a D u B

Originally Posted by Scoutn757

Next who tuned it before if it has even been tuned. That is going to make all of the difference.
I believe mods and tune were done at flim flams shop in richmond by previous owner a couple of years ago, actually.

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
stock is 3.55....

I'd go with 3.90s max if it's a street car since 4.10s will make the first 2 gears useless but if he's down with that then great....

Gas mileage with the 4.10s will be a moot point because of 6th.
K, thanks. Any particular brand best? He isn't exactly the easiest on cars. Where is best place to buy?
Old 10-08-2010, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Who's car was it? More details plz.

And I personally think with the stock 3.55's the car should be decent enough to drive with 450whp. I wouldn't do 4.10's and I going to a 3.73 would be a waste of money. So what I'm saying is he should be happy with what you have.

In other words...If he likes spinning tires go to a higher gear. If he likes accelerating fast I'd stick with 3.55's.

Then again I'm used to 450whp being the slowest Cobra I get in my shop, so obviously when you have 650whp those 3.55's are way nicer. So maybe you should just throw a whipple on it instead.
Old 10-08-2010, 08:15 AM
S a D u B

Well it's a white 03 and he bought it off a guy in NOVA who was in his early 20's probly and was working at cooper's corvettes at the time. That's about all I know. He bought the car a year and few months ago now I guess.

He is happy with it, but we noticed last year that a couple teeth were broken and it is now starting to make noise so he figures if he's gonna have to replace them then he may as well upgrade, so that's why he is wanting to do it. He did say the car is boring him now and he wants to make more power, but I doubt he'll spend the money on a whipple, although I wish he would. I need to hurry up and buy another corvette, that'll give him the incentive haha. My uncle (who owns city motors and sold the car to my friend) claims that the receipts for everything are somewhere, so I'll try and get him to dig them up.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:56 AM
Fitty Tuckin

-JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB- -JB-

NOS
Old 10-08-2010, 03:01 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by FlimFlam
Who's car was it? More details plz.

And I personally think with the stock 3.55's the car should be decent enough to drive with 450whp. I wouldn't do 4.10's and I going to a 3.73 would be a waste of money. So what I'm saying is he should be happy with what you have.

In other words...If he likes spinning tires go to a higher gear. If he likes accelerating fast I'd stick with 3.55's.

Then again I'm used to 450whp being the slowest Cobra I get in my shop, so obviously when you have 650whp those 3.55's are way nicer. So maybe you should just throw a whipple on it instead.
What? No mention of a Griggs SRA?

Who are you and what have you done with our FlimFlam?