Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections

Old 12-20-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leroy12 has disabled reputation
Default New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections

Hi, I'm in the Military and i will be stationed at Langley in about a month. I'm currently in Ga on leave and I'm looking to purchase a civic while here to drive up to Va. The car is a OBD-II but the motor swapped in it currently is a OBD 1 Gsr. Will i have problems passing inspections with this swap? Also, the car has a quick release steering wheel setup. Does the car require a driver-side airbag or will this setup pass safety regulations?

ANY help is greatly appreciated!

Btw i will probably being living in the newport news area if that helps any.

THANKS!
Old 12-20-2014, 12:14 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default Re: New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections

Tards, he's not asking for a sticker, he just has general questions.

YES you will need an airbag. NO the swap will not hurt you in itself, unless you're in a place that does smog.
Old 12-20-2014, 12:19 PM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal

Originally Posted by Kris.Is.Foamin
Tards, he's not asking for a sticker, he just has general questions.

YES you will need an airbag. NO the swap will not hurt you in itself, unless you're in a place that does smog.
And? He's still a tard for not googling it and asking on a forum like we're all VA inspectors or some shit.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:09 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

How is he a tard? He's not from the area and asked a general question. I don't think ga even requires a state inspection, and I'm told by an old friend sc doesn't have one either

OP I didn't see anything in the state inspector handbook procedure list stating there had to be an airbag. However it would still fail because the car had one equipped originally.

Last edited by Gen_Crunchytoes; 12-20-2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 01:34 PM
-RepLegion

Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller

This may be of some help:

http://www.vsp.state.va.us/Safety.shtm

If your questions aren't answered there, you could try giving them a call... OR

"NOTE: If you have a specific question with regard to motor vehicle safety inspection or inspection requirements, please refer to the Official Annual Motor Vehicle Inspection Manual, which is available through Virginia's Legislative Information System.# It is comprised of Commonwealth of Virginia Administrative Code, Chapter 70 (MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY INSPECTION RULES AND REGULATIONS), Sections 1 through 680:1 and Forms."
Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

The swap shouldn't hurt you. I think technically they can fail you for a removed emission system, which is a common practice when it comes to swapping to an older ecu styled engine. But I'd be certain to say that 95% won't get you for it. If you live in like NOVA/DC then they do smog and good luck.

Airbags I don't remember exactly. I've heard different things. Some say if it was equipped from factory then it needs one. Also heard that if you remove it then you can't have any SRS system faults. Which I've also heard people say just remove the SRS light but I think that is checked when the car starts.

I'll ask some of the techs when I get a chance at work. I don't do that for a living.

The link someone above me that I'm too lazy to check the name doesn't show what they can technically look for. It just shows the areas. The actual manual is huge...You can be failed for so many things if the tech wants it.

Also depends on the trooper that visits your shop. A lot of people with trucks install those LED strips on the bottoms of the tailgates that acts as another brake light. Not a problem, but technically they aren't DOT approved. Years and years the same people have brought their trucks to my job and we passed that. We got a new trooper. He saw a truck with that and a new sticker, pulled them over, took the sticker number and then checked up on it. One of the techs wrote it at my job. Trooper came, fined him. If he has one mess up involving states in the next two years he'll lose his license forever and is in deep shit.

My point is states are BS. Stay in GA and appreciate what you have. haha

edit: another thing you said the motor is swapped. Chances are the torque mounts are gone, which are the mounts that bolt to the front of the engine and transmission and bolt to the lower frame rail. That's a fail. Probably has aftermarket HIDs. Fail. LED tags. Fail.

It fucking sucks.

Last edited by Travis.; 12-20-2014 at 06:29 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 12:55 AM
carebearreps

pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0 pedro 2.0

Originally Posted by JacKal
And? He's still a tard for not googling it and asking on a forum like we're all VA inspectors or some shit.
he asked a car related question on a car forum... who's the tard?
Old 12-21-2014, 03:06 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by jgrknot
he asked a car related question on a car forum... who's the tard?
Are we really gonna go down that road? Every single clown who gets smacked around on here for being too stupid/lazy to spend five minutes on google is also, technically asking a car related question.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:58 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by Yardjass
Are we really gonna go down that road? Every single clown who gets smacked around on here for being too stupid/lazy to spend five minutes on google is also, technically asking a car related question.
yes

however, those questions usually go something like this

ay yall, i got a sweEt new ride and itz got da quick releese stering wheel nd no ayrbag. i tryd to git inspecshun nd dey tld me if aint gon pass. any1 got hookups fo a sticker?

see the difference?
Old 12-21-2014, 11:53 AM
-RepLegion

Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller Bridge Dweller

Item 20 in the link I posted above pretty clearly addresses the airbag concern... You just have to read it.

Personally, I wouldn't touch a car like that with a 10 foot pole expecting to have no problems with VA inspection, without doing something shady.

The Commonwealth of Virginia is a bag of dicks when it comes to the government's approach to automotive culture.

Last edited by Bridge Dweller; 12-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Quick Reply: New to area, looking for advice for Va inspections