Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Need some advice on places to move in VA Beach

Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JEEBS has disabled reputation
Default Need some advice on places to move in VA Beach

Well we currently live in Chesapeake and considered moving out to Great Bridge but the traffic going into GB is horrendous. Not only that but you don't get the best bang for your dollar there either as far as housing. We are looking for a townhouse, or house to move into that's decently priced.

Our biggest concern is location of course. We are looking for places that have good high schools because in a few years my step son will be in HS and we are looking at areas that is not for lack of a better word, ghetto. We looked at Ocean Lakes HS area and realized is by Oceana and we are not fans of jet noise. We were thinking of the Salem area, Pembrooke, Princessanne closer to Norfolk, and Laskin areas.

I just kind of want to get opinions from those that know VA Beach well. Oh I guess I should mention that we are looking to rent and not buy.

Thanks guys!
Old 07-14-2011, 05:56 AM
wait, what?

coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface
Default Re: Need some advice on places to move in VA Beach

If you're concerned about the school:housing price ratio, I'd look into the Great Bridge area more. I'm moving back out there from Norfolk on Sunday. I went to school there, as well. If you're concerned about "ghetto," also, then definitely look into it more. The Cedar Rd area (although a bit heavy on traffic sometimes-- learn the ways around the drawbridges) is pretty heavily concentrated with townhouse communities.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:02 AM
Registered member

See we looked out there. I mean really looked. Los Gaviatos(sp) looked promising but the traffic alone kills it. I deal with it everyday having to pick up my step son from summer camp and it sucks. We even looked in Mount Plesant and there is nothing in our price range that meets our needs.

That area is so saturated with people and the roads are not well equipped to deal with it hence the congestion. If you don't mind me asking, what area did you move to and how much are you paying roughly? How big is the property?
Old 07-14-2011, 06:04 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Bang for you buck in VA Beach LOLOLOLOLOL no such areas (unless you get lucky like i did). Chesapeake is prolly your best bang for buck area. Especially when it comes to lot size. Schools arent bad either.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:06 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Va Beach is traffic ridden as hell too.

This is a Military area. 7 cities, 4+ military bases. Expect traffic, expect Jet Noise. If you dont like it, GTFO. Seriously.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:08 AM
wait, what?

coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface coryface

Originally Posted by JEEBS
See we looked out there. I mean really looked. Los Gaviatos(sp) looked promising but the traffic alone kills it. I deal with it everyday having to pick up my step son from summer camp and it sucks. We even looked in Mount Plesant and there is nothing in our price range that meets our needs.

That area is so saturated with people and the roads are not well equipped to deal with it hence the congestion. If you don't mind me asking, what area did you move to and how much are you paying roughly? How big is the property?
Johnstown has some apartments/townhouses that might be worth considering... the access to the interstate is a bit easier, as well. The property I'm moving to is behind Lazy Horse (bar/grill kind of) on Cedar, and it's about a 1300sq ft townhouse. The total monthly is about 1300 for a 3br townhouse. There are some across the street that a friend of mine lives in (past the cemetary coming from Battlefield on the right) that are well-kept rental properties for affordable prices, as well. You can cut past the courthouse and skip a good portion of traffic heading towards Battlefield instead of taking Dominion that way. I learned my way around the back roads there when I was growing up. If I can help it, I don't take Dominion (or go near it) anytime before 9-10pm. It's definitely a good area for school districts, which would be worth the traffic concept for me. This whole area code is poorly-equipped for the traffic flow it's acquired. I honestly don't think you could avoid it at all.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:22 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

lolololol at fucking faggots that get mad about jet noise.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:01 AM
Registered member

I personally have nothing again jet noise, I can sleep thorugh a hurricane but my wife can't sleep with any kind of noise and I don't know if they fly at night, I'm sure they do, I would rather not hear her bitch about it.

Cory +rep for good information. That is exactly what I was looking for. I mean we planned on moving to GB so maybe if we find something that is to our liking we still will. I guess I can deal with the traffic for the right deal. My son currently goes to school in GB anyways so it might just be easier that way anyway.

As far as traffic, having driven around most of VA Beach and Chesapeake, I have realized its inevitiable. I just try to find back roads.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:07 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Yes they Fly at night quite often.

Honestly after being here for 20+ years you get used to it and also i find a sense of security and pride seeing them fly around.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:40 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Daft Punk
Yes they Fly at night quite often.

Honestly after being here for 20+ years you get used to it and also i find a sense of security and pride seeing them fly around.
I agree with your statement as well. I do think about this area as a whole in the event of a terrorist attack but on the other hand, I'm sure we are very well prepared if that were to ever happen.

Quick Reply: Need some advice on places to move in VA Beach