Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

68 camaro restoration help!

Old 04-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82
Default 68 camaro restoration help!

Hey guys. My best friend just bout a 68 camaro from a guys he knows from work. Great project car, and ill be taking pictures and starting a project post shortly. He got the car for 4,000 and for that price the car is in amazing shape. Currently its in primer and completely gutted except for the engine which is all original. the body has no rust, and some of the smaller parts inside have only minor surface rust. The guy he bought it from also gave him all brand new parts for 90% of the car that just have never been installed. Well worth the 4k he paid alone, not to mention the rust free body. New tires and rims that have never been put on the car. Freshly recovered seats, new carpet, new instrument panel, new headliner, all new windows, all new trim, everything.
What were looking for help with is the prep work. He wants to get the body dipped, to get rid of any rust and anything else that may be good to get rid of before we start getting everything back together and started. We are also interested if anyone in the area can recommend any media blaster services so we can get it down to bare metal and start from a good base. If anyone knows of any good places that can media blast the entire car that would be awesome. once thats done we'll be on a roll with all the rest of the work, just needing a good media blaster or place we can get it dipped at. Any input would be great. thanks guys
Old 04-08-2009, 06:22 PM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike
Default Re: 68 camaro restoration help!

I can't help you with those requests, but I just wanted to ask that you update us on the project progress. For once there's a car on VA driven that I am really interested in.

What I can say is I have buddy who wouldn't be able to help with those requests, but if you ever run into something mechanical you can't figure out I can ask him and he'll most likely know the answer. (he doesn't live around here though).
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82 roadrcr82

thanks, im sure we'll need things along the way. it should be a very nice project, but it will be a while til its anywhere near being done. We want to get it done right, thats why we want to get all the prep work done right first. This way we dont have anything crazy come along later on. Were looking to keep it under 50k for the full restoration, we just haven't done much research on the prep, and we rather not spend 6 months sanding everything down by hand, even though im sure there will be plenty of that still to come. We just want a nice starting point.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:11 AM
Registered Member

95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757 95teg757

First off nice project.... The best advice I can give you is to take your time, it took over 4 years for our 69 firebird. Classic industries is gonna become your new friend (thats the only place that has been helpful with every problem I have had with the firebird). The shop that did the body work and paint was American classics and hotrods off of military hwy (on raby road). I dont know if the shop is still in service only since last I heard they were having financial trouble, but they do good work. Which motor is in the camaro??
Old 04-09-2009, 04:58 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

call precision powder coating in va beach...368 2135...lou has blasted numerous cars for me...never warped anything...
Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

threeleggedrat has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by nftuatn
call precision powder coating in va beach...368 2135...lou has blasted numerous cars for me...never warped anything...
Jesse's Rod Sop Chesapeake, good source for parts and stuff, good luck, contact The late great chevy club they have a website. Good to get in a club lot of information to be had.
Old 04-09-2009, 08:01 AM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

I'm in the middle of restoring my 67, I can't help you with the media blaster but almost anything else you need, I've probally already done it. You may think it's rust free now, but after you media blast it you'll find that it's not. I had mine on a rotesiere for a year replacing the trunk, floorpans, wheel tubs ect. Mine is almost all new sheetmetal now. I decided on the pro touring route and the car now has a corvette C5 front suspension and a C4 IRS in the rear. Good luck with you project, it's a long road.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:08 PM
Registered Member

Beach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to allBeach Cruiser is a name known to all

Here's a teaser shot of mine...

Old 04-09-2009, 12:25 PM

aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace aniretaKrace

Flatlanders hot rods in norfolk, ask for Aaron Block ...he is reallly good at what he does but he does have a waiting list i think

916 W 25th St
Norfolk, VA 23517
(757) 440-1932
Old 04-09-2009, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

thanks guys. currently the car has the original 327 in it that came from the factory. The engine actually only has 27,000 original miles on it. Even though we plan on putting a big block into it. We have plenty of time to figure out if we want to just keep the 327 in it or not though. Were not looking to do an all original car or anything so its not too much of an issue i suppose. Yeah im sure there are going to be surprises along the way with the body, but most of the major bodywork was done on the car about 5 years ago. One of the reasons we want to get it blasted or dipped is so we can get everything done right. The body looks great, but i rather get it all cleaned up just to make sure there is nothing crazy going on with the work that was done before. There was very little filler or anything used on the car so it shouldnt be too bad. Currently we're looking at putting a Ls1 into it but havn't made any final desisiouns on that part yet. Thanks for all the input so far. Im going to start a project thread here shortly that way everyone can see the progress as we go along.

Last edited by roadrcr82; 04-09-2009 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: 68 camaro restoration help!