Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Mobile radar speeding ticket!

Old 04-04-2003, 02:25 PM
God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rguy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Mobile radar speeding ticket!

I just got a ticket for speeding, 70/55, by an under cover officer who was going the opposite direction in traffic as me at speed. I was on 460 East and every car i was with was going ~70, i was not in my definition speeding by any means. Of course he admitted that my car attracts a lot of attention. He said he used "mobile radar" to detect my speed, and asked if my speedometer was off. Anyone have any experiences with this form of radar? Seems kinda harsh on motorists to be able to just drive along on the opposite side of the road with your mobile radar on just waiting for some unsuspecting driver who has no idea you are able to monitor their speed. To make it worse, within 1 minute of him driving off, he had already "mobile radared" another unsuspecting driver on the OTHER side and was pulling them over while i passed. Obviously out there just to meet quotas.
Cliffs: Mobile radar ruins day, drinking will ensue.

PS...on the ticket he has an address that i do live at, but i am not on the lease at all. He asked me where i lived at VT and i told him, but technically im squatting here. He didnt use the address on my license. I sort of just moved in without signing a damn thing. There is no one by my name who lives here basically. That help me in anyway?
Old 04-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Dork

VT Remmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default damn, that sucks

sorry to hear that man. i think i read somewhere a while back that a cops radar can get you when they are still or coming towards you, but if they are following you they can only pace your speed with there speedometer. are you going to challenge it in court or just pay the fine?

i dont think not having your name on the lease will help you out, my guess is it would do more harm than good if the landlord foundout that someone was living there that didnt sign the lease.

all in all tho, it doesnt sound like a problem that a little beer couldnt solve.
Old 04-04-2003, 04:15 PM

mpg9999 is an unknown quantity at this point

See if you can dig up some info at http://www.motorists.org/
Old 04-04-2003, 04:29 PM

VT_453 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use a Golden Eagle made by Kustom Signals, i can track vehicles while im moving coming at me and going away in the opposite lane, and same direction in front or behind. It also does stationary in front or behind, coming or going traffic. Pretty much if you are traveling anywhere close to the same plane i am, i can clock your vehicle, whether your in front, behind, coming at me, going away from me. It even has a button I can use to put it in fastest mode, which will give me the speed of the fastest vehicle it is recieving. This is helpfull if there are 2 or 3 slow cars in front of a vehicle that is going faster then they are. You can hear the audible doppler tone waver, meaning it is getting more then one reflection back. Hit the fastest button, it will show you the fastest object that is in your scope of radar at the time. If you have any questions, feel free to ask or pm me, ill do my best to answer them. I'm by far not an expert, but I enjoy radar and how it works.

Also, the address thing isnt anything you can really get out of the ticket by, since that is the adress you gave him. Thats used in case your court date is changed so they can deliver that information to you.

edited for the address info

Last edited by VT_453; 04-04-2003 at 04:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2003, 06:20 PM
standing strong

antiheroVT is an unknown quantity at this point

looks like its time to get a detector
Old 04-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

I feel you Rguy. 70/55 is only 15 over and on 460 too, which is a bullshit speeding ticket imo. Fight it, its your RIGHT.
Old 04-04-2003, 08:21 PM
Smut Peddler

Cyberdemon is an unknown quantity at this point

Shoulda been on the track.
Old 04-04-2003, 09:57 PM
That thing i do!

Wagz is an unknown quantity at this point

i hate cops in this entire southern va area.............that is all (i've discussed why in the past)
Old 04-05-2003, 06:31 PM

MAX93 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah i got the same thing a 60/35 on south main street with the cop goin the other direction... now i use a radar detector
all the cops around here leave their radars on all the time so you can always pick em up
Old 04-05-2003, 06:34 PM
Registered Member

Blazeomar is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobile radar is always ON in blacksburg police cruisers and christiansburg
it is completly effective and only 2-3 miles per hour ineffective, so overall
its not that great of a accuracy tool, but they will fucking catch you.
sorry to hear that man, i got busted the same way, stupid fucking cops

Quick Reply: Mobile radar speeding ticket!