Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Expired Inspection Ticket

Old 03-27-2012, 05:53 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Expired Inspection Ticket

no big deal. they work.

technically not supposed to pass, but have never heard of a car fail because of that.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:07 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

That is what I am thinking too, but then again, ya never know. I've never been in any kind of trouble with my car or with the law before, so I tend to panic when these types of things happen. I just want to get this taken care of and move on.

In summary, on Friday, I go in with the receipt for proof that the inspection was done, and then I plead that I was in the wrong but the inspection has since been taken care of?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:15 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

No. Plead "no contest" if you have to go to court. These are called "fix it" tickets. Broken equipment or inspection issue. You fix it, it's done. To not pay court costs, go to the police station with ticket and inspection/repair proof to see if they can make it so you no longer have to appear in court (you still have to pay the fine at the courthouse clerk's/cashier's desk).
Old 03-27-2012, 07:24 AM
SHAKESHAKESHAKESHAKE

Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired Trunk Impaired

I've gotten equipment "fix it" tickets before and the case was always thrown out without so much as proof of purchase needed for the equipment in question. Like Digital said, plead "no contest" and in my case the court fees were thrown out by the judge along with the ticket. Including being sworn in I said less than 10 words the whole time. But more importantly how do you not have someone you can pay off to pass your car for inspection? Surely you've got a friend or something at a garage you use regularly that you could explain your situation to.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

No, I don't. I do all of my own work on my car, so I never take it to a shop. Hell, I've had my car going on 4 years, and it has yet to even go to the dealership. So I don't have any "connections" and this is why I figured I would post on here and get some advice. I appreciate all the replies. I called the court and they said I have to bring proof in to the court on Friday to give to the judge and he will determine what is done. The cop even told me he may throw it out, so I am hoping this will be the case.

Do i have a better chance at them throwing out all costs or just throwing out the fine for the ticket (with still having to pay court costs)?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

If it gets dismissed, then you don't have to worry about any costs, and if the judge is fair, and you show it has been taken care of, it should get dismissed.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM
superuser

^ what he said.

In court, throwing out the court costs is up to the judge.

Last edited by Computer_Nerd; 03-27-2012 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM
Bewst!!!

Awesome, that is what I like to hear. Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z

I agree with what they are saying above, the judge can do whatever he wants. But, I know there has been pressure on them about collecting court fees regardless of the circumstances recently. It wouldn't surprise me if you still owed court costs.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

There are plenty of things on your car that should fail state inspection,but probably won't be noticed/cared about by most shops.
I actually had a pretty easy going shop question the foglights on my truck(OEM foglights I added,but had not yet wired,so they didn't work at all)last year.He told me to tape over them in the future and it wouldn't be an issue.I guess auxillary lights(even if they're OEM)don't have to work/be legal if they're covered.Fast forward a year(yes,I'm a sorry bastard who still hadn't finished them)and I covered them with black duct tape.They never even looked at them or questioned them.Not sure if they didn't notice them at all,or if they didn't care since they were covered.Either way,it worked......

I've never had any luck with getting an inspection ticket dropped before court(I have tried going to the clerk's office and they just told me bring my shit with me to court),but I've had pretty good luck with getting it dropped on my court date by taking in my new inspection cerftificate.I did once have a judge tell me though that obviously the sticker was bad when I got the ticket,and that was all that mattered.He was a dick.

Last edited by TNGChris; 03-27-2012 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Expired Inspection Ticket