Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

E85 now in Wytheville, Va?

Old 06-27-2011, 04:09 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris
Default Re: E85 now in Wytheville, Va?

Originally Posted by Spooln4
So salem is setup for it, but they don't sell it? I don't understand you'd think there would be a bigger push to the pumps considering all the flexfuel cars being made.
I don't think there's a huge demand for it for stock flexfuel cars.The idea of decreased fuel mileage from a fuel that (I'm assuming)costs the same same as E10 probably isn't appealing to your average consumer.
Hell,most of the people I've talked to with flexfuel vehicles don't even know what it means and/or know that their vehicle is equipped.

It's awesome from a performance aspect in a modded car,but as far as mass market consumer use to me it just seems like bureaucratic bullshit to subsidize the corn farmers and still not really make an impact on our foreign oil consumption or be a viable alternative to petroleum.My cowoker who drives cross-country at least once a year said that even the folks in the major corn producing states aren't crazy about it,and they're the major benefactors from it.

Last edited by TNGChris; 06-27-2011 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:58 AM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Chris pretty much nailed it, it's great for performance needs, except for the fact you need at least twice the fuel system.

But as far as a practical use, it's not. It is a little bit cheaper than regular pump gas, but by the time you factor in the 30% increase in fuel needed to output the same energy, it kinda negates the fact. That and you get less distance on a fillup. It doesn't store all that well, is rather corrosive, etc.

It's just not worth it other than cheap race gas, and even with that, think of the cost of your extra fuel pump, the huge injectors, the likely need of upgrading your fuel feed/return/regulator depending on your power goal. Add all that up and see how much it would cost you to just buy some 105 or 109 from VP, you could likely run the real stuff for a good while before having to deal with upgrading everything else and transport of the fuel.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:17 AM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

I just need a local place to buy good race fuel. -And not Cam2 that will mess up my wideband.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Registered member

TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris TNGChris

Originally Posted by TongWoo
I just need a local place to buy good race fuel. -And not Cam2 that will mess up my wideband.
What kind of quantity are you looking for at a time?
Old 06-28-2011, 12:10 PM
BATTLESTAGS

TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo TongWoo

Originally Posted by TNGChris
What kind of quantity are you looking for at a time?
Not sure. I'd say 50 gallons...?
Old 06-28-2011, 03:59 PM
I <3 2JZ

Spooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond reputeSpooln4 has a reputation beyond repute

That makes sense about how how practical e85 is. I'm just jealous of the 1000whp guys being able to run this fuel every day with 38psi+ setups.

I'm going to be redoing majority of my fuel system anyways, why not just accomodate slightly larger injectors and another pump into the setup for e85.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Go Team Marlboro

BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo BSeriesTurbo

Best thing to do is order it online believe it or not. Star shitty will sell it in large bulk but you'll have to pay full price plus freight. There's a central VP hub I think in Charlotte or somewhere close too.
Old 06-28-2011, 05:43 PM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded

Originally Posted by TNGChris
I don't think there's a huge demand for it for stock flexfuel cars.The idea of decreased fuel mileage from a fuel that (I'm assuming)costs the same same as E10 probably isn't appealing to your average consumer.
Hell,most of the people I've talked to with flexfuel vehicles don't even know what it means and/or know that their vehicle is equipped.
Fuel mileage is so much worse with E85.

The pre Ford-500 Tauruses could go around 120 miles further on a tank of straight gas compared to E85
Old 06-28-2011, 07:08 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo
Best thing to do is order it online believe it or not. Star shitty will sell it in large bulk but you'll have to pay full price plus freight. There's a central VP hub I think in Charlotte or somewhere close too.
Does Pro-Line still sell race fuel?I know they still sell VP supplies like jugs and whatnot.
There's also a place on 220S close to the NC border that sells bulk race fuel.My boss buys Cam2 there by the barrel,but I think they also sell unleaded race fuels.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:12 AM
Go Team Marlboro

Guy named Mark owns ProLine now I think, we used to work on his cars a lot, hes been in the scene a long time. Either way I'm sure he could get it for you if they don't carry it.

Quick Reply: E85 now in Wytheville, Va?