Notices
The Twisties For all you cone killers and nazis. This includes Auto-X, Road Racing, and Drifting.

Sponsorship

Old 02-25-2004, 01:35 AM
co driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd
Default Sponsorship

I thought about this tonight. A guy that I believe is a manager (or owner) of Bert's Alignment has been bowling on Sunday nights at my work for years now. Since I work there, he may listen to me more than someone off the street.

Anyways, I was thinking that if we got a bunch of cars together (or dare I say, Team), and sported their stickers (preferrably magnets, just like Team Jester), then maybe we could get free alignments or discounted at least. Details are irrelevant at this time. So what do you all think?

The more numbers, the more impressive. And I believe this should only be for our dedicated racers, not once a year guys. Discuss...
Old 02-25-2004, 06:47 AM
Yes I race a HONDA!!

vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec vbspec
Default Re: Sponsorship

The only thing about a sponsorship of this kind is is it going to be worth the $ for Bert. What I mean is that if you are asking for multipul magnets and multipul disscounts where is his break even point. I mean the more people on this "team" would be less people he is hitting up at full pop. And this is just for fun for alot of people who arent going to be getting an alignment every few months.

Let me preface this by saying I have been sponsored by a few companies for racing R/C cars.

Companys not only want the fast guys but the guy who maybe a top ten driver but who helps everyone. Plus you have to be expected to travel. If a company see's that you are committed to your hobby than they are more likely to be commited to you. And lastly it usually comes down to who you know not what you know.

My suggestion would be to get to know the guy at the alley and see if he wants to try to help you out. Make a deal where maybe if you pay for the magnets he hook you up with 2 alignment per year. Good luck

Michael

Last edited by vbspec; 02-25-2004 at 06:52 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:55 AM
co driver

lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd lightningd

those would be the details.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:27 AM
old guy

roadRacer is an unknown quantity at this point

Getting sponsors is a learned process. I think this is as good a place as any to start. Make a proposal to him. You might need some things to describe what an autocross is to him. Bring pictures, etc. You might sell it to him by pointing out that all of these people at autocrosses always want special alignments and are constantly asking where to get a special alignment. The advertising is then to your competitors. I think you could make a case to him that if he can do custom alignments and understand what they need a little that he would get quite a few customers. The direct costs to him would be pretty minor for putting your car on the alignment rack from time to time when he has available space on the rack.

I think if you show him that this is a thing that benefits his business and he has a good first experience, it could pay off with more down the line.

Go do it. The worst thing that happens is that he try it and be dis-satisfied with the experience and not want to do it anymore. You will have gained the experience of learning how to do this. If you look at the typical car at a ProSolo, you see them covered in sponsor stickers. The sooner you learn how to get them on your car, the better.

One thing you may learn though it what sponsorships don't really help you (I am not saying that about this one necessarily). But for example, I am always saying that autocrossers need to know how to set their alignments in the paddock of events, or in between runs as adjustments are necessary. If this is the case... then how does this deal actually help you?

Champion used to give spark plugs to all SCCA racers that asked. We appreciated it, but relative to everything, that was a miniscule expense. A friend once took his car to show it to a potential sponsor and the guy thinking about sponsoring him was turned off by all the little stickers like Champion on the car that he had to run for the free spark plugs. The potential sponsor wanted a cleaner car that he felt like he had to share less with other companies. The $20 or so benefit of the free plugs wasn't really worth the negative impression that was given to the guy wanting to put much more money into the car.

Last edited by roadRacer; 02-25-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:26 PM
Mad Scientist

WRXRacer111 is an unknown quantity at this point

Keep in mind that in some cases, no matter how well professionally presented your proposal is, how solid your resume and references are, the potential sponsor may recommend you run their stickers, buy stuff from them AND get no discount or anything for it. LOL. Not that that's happened to me or anything before. I'd pay to get the magnets/stickers made up if I felt I'd be getting support back that would be worth the effort, whether that support comes in the form of goods/services, or just friendship that may contribute knowledge.

That said, I've made friends with an alignment shop owned by Subaru fanatics who autox and track their cars down here (owner had a 420hp WRX, just tuned a Motec standalone on a 400whp STi) and it's really cool to be able to go there, put the car up on the rack to be able to put it on the rack and mark toe bolts/tie rods/camber plates for various settings that I keep in my little notebook. I don't have to spend an hour arguing with them on why I need to do this, or why I want this much camber and that no, I don't care that my tires will wear more quickly.

I've found sometimes what's helpful is not necessarily getting something tangible from the sponsor, but the people they may know or input they have to give. Wearing a magnet might make someone more likely to send you on to their tire mounting buddy who will cut you a deal, or NOT damage your expensive rim etc. Networking helps a lot IMO.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:12 PM
co driver

thanx for the input guys, good stuff.