Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Transmission compatibility for 4wd transmission.

Old 12-11-2012, 05:56 AM
Means Slow

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of
Default Transmission compatibility for 4wd transmission.

i have a 98 CRV 4wd. i was wondering if a 99-01 4wd tranny work on a 97 and 98? I know there are 4 types of 4wd transmission. m4ta, mlda, mdma, and sdma. I see parts for all for are the same internally but would like to know if its all compatible. Its because 97-98 did not have the overdrive option that 99-01 had. But i think that it does not matter because its electronically controlled and the shifter is not directly hooked up to the transmission. let me know if you are well informed about this. Im not going Jdm for the fact issues have been found when installed in USDM CRV.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

Igofast has disabled reputation
Default Re: Transmission compatibility for 4wd transmission.

If it bolts up, then it fits.
Check out the bell house/adaptor.

Think about this: if you are swapping in a newer transmission for the purpose of overdrive, I think you'll probably also need to swap in a automatic transmission control module. The transmission control module from a 97 or 98 probably doesn't have the ability to utilize the overdrive of a newer transmission.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:19 AM
Means Slow

MABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud ofMABAGAL has much to be proud of

I have been reading the service manual. Electrically they are both the same. 97-98 has a D3 position while 99-01 does not have the position but an overdrive button. They both use the same wiring but im not sure hydraulically yet.
Old 12-31-2015, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

bans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these partsbans25 is infamous around these parts

I know this is old, but did the trans work out? I need to put a new trans in a 99 and have a good one out of a 97, before I pull the 99 apart (they are still driving it), I want to make sure I can use the 97.. any help is appreciated!
Old 12-31-2015, 07:26 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Asshole for asking a question to a 3+ year old thread