Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Scrapping a car..

Old 07-27-2015, 05:18 AM
40 roll for a hondo?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX
Default Re: Scrapping a car..

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad
so I luckily tracked another place located in woodbridge off route 1 that doesn't require half the shit the other one did. Just as a FYI, the company was Davis Industries and their requirements were fuckin crazy so avoid them.. this other place literally just wants a hole in the gas tank, battery removed, and the title.

the question now is does my car have a drain plug for the tank and if not how do I make a hole in it without blowing up my driveway....
You've probably already figures this out, but for future reference... Put water in the gas tank. Doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to cover the depth of the drill bit completely. Remember your chemistry. Liquid gasoline doesn't burn, its the vapors mixed with oxygen that burn. So you're drilling into water. Water drains, gas drains, fumes disperse.

You might want to use a cordless drill too. Water and electricity is as bad as gas fumes and an ignition source.
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 PM
Registered member

Deimos has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BeastTX
You might want to use a cordless drill too. Water and electricity is as bad as gas fumes and an ignition source.
Uh... cordless drills use electricity too. In fact, the powerful ones make sparks from the motor when starting/stopping. Air tools are the way to go to avoid spark.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:25 AM
40 roll for a hondo?

BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX BeastTX

Sparks aren't an issue. The water forms a vapor barrier. It's simply to avoid electricution. Cordless tools are very low amperage and no risk
Old 08-02-2015, 05:35 AM
Registered member

SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad

So I managed to do this twice since I made the thread, both without power tools. Sort of a pain in the ass but rather safe than sorry. First time drained the tank and left it over night to allow the fumes to disperse as BeastTX metioned. Next morning I simply took a brass rod and hammered it in slowly to create a bunch of little holes and formed it in to one big one (junk yard specifically wants one fist size hole, not a bunch of little ones).
Second time around, the drain plug stripped and I had over 10 gallons of gas to drain, so that was a real pain in the ass, specially because I was doing this on my driveway with the car on jack stands. Long story short I did the same procedure, but I would allow a bucket to fill up with gas, plug it back up, empty the gas in another car, and had to do that about 5 or 6 times to get it all out of there.

Key is just being patient, first time I was rushing everything and dropped a lot of gas on my driveway which got pretty messy. Second time around I took my time and out of 10+ gallons, I couldn't have dropped more than 1/8 gallon all while doing it on my back. Brass works great because it doesn't create a spark so if need be, you can hammer the shit out of the tank, specially if it is metal like mine was.