Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Drag Radial opinions

Old 08-01-2015, 05:06 AM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Drag Radial opinions

Going to be purchasing some in the near future, wanting some opinions of people who have had them. What brand and tire did you use? Like it? Why or why not? I'm leaning towards ET Streets but I'm open to others. Google all I can, but some personal experiences are appreciated.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:40 PM
Registered member

Deimos has disabled reputation
Default Re: Drag Radial opinions

Can't go wrong with Hoosiers.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:51 AM
Registered member

Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine Carnine

I've never cut better than a 1.8 with my cars as they were all sticks. I can tell you I exploded two rear ends using et streets. I'm actually selling some as well. Nitto Drag Rads run a bit narrow. Quick Times felt the best on the street and didn't feel they needed as much heat to get them to hook on the street. I don't have much drag race experience at the track. I've never really seen or heard a good comparison to be honest.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:31 AM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal

I ran ET streets on a 400hp fox best bang for the buck. But radials can hook really fucking hard and break components as its a violent shock to the driveline. Like carninr said they will do a pretty solid 1.8 in a stuck.shift maybe a hair better with a two step.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:39 AM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by Deimos
Can't go wrong with Hoosiers.
Hoosier specifically tells you not to use their tire on the street, its made just to keep someone in the right class at the track. Not an option for me.
Originally Posted by Carnine
I've never cut better than a 1.8 with my cars as they were all sticks. I can tell you I exploded two rear ends using et streets. I'm actually selling some as well. Nitto Drag Rads run a bit narrow. Quick Times felt the best on the street and didn't feel they needed as much heat to get them to hook on the street. I don't have much drag race experience at the track. I've never really seen or heard a good comparison to be honest.
I don't plan on doing any hard launches, just want something that won't spin all the time on the street. I've started looking at the Nitto's and I'm considering them heavily now.Mainly due to the way the tire actually sits on the rim,protecting the lip a bit more, where the MTs seem to leave a bit of lip hanging out from the tire. I've heard great things about both brands.
Originally Posted by JacKal
I ran ET streets on a 400hp fox best bang for the buck. But radials can hook really fucking hard and break components as its a violent shock to the driveline. Like carninr said they will do a pretty solid 1.8 in a stuck.shift maybe a hair better with a two step.
I'm putting 500 to the ground and the Sumitomo whatevers on there now are not only dry rotted, but offer ZERO grip. I have a 6 speed with a 12 bolt, and the 6 speed is the only stock component in the drivetrain. Hopefully I don't kill it. (Also my reasoning for not going to the track and just dumping the clutch, whenever I make it there..)
Old 08-03-2015, 05:49 AM
Anal hammer

Nitto isnt a bad grip but I found them to wear out much quicker than I cared for. Sumitomo is great for a cheap clutch lol. The ET will give you the solid grab you're looking for but they are more costly. But that may be a better trade for you depending on use as I only got 6 months out of 555rs.

As for the tranny the T56 should stand up to 500 fine it's the 12 bolt I'd worry about...
Old 08-03-2015, 04:43 PM
GLHF

Man, just about EVERYTHING I see is telling me to go with the ET streets... And I've been reading that the Nitto's last longest out of them all but offer the least traction.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:12 AM
Anal hammer

Id look more into the power the no traction guys were making. They hooked fine with 400hp but my boys 3v 550hp did have traction issues on them. But the only reason he ran them was inability to source an ET on a 19 inch rim. MY EXPERIENCE was the outer tread wore way slower than the inner so I ended up with a 4 inch patch down the center with bands showing. I attributed it to the way the tire sat on the rim. The general rule of the thumb is the suffer compound the faster it will wear but more traction it offers. MT was an even keel in price to traction ratio for me.
Old 08-04-2015, 03:23 AM
Anal hammer

Oh and due to the stiff compound nittos took much longer in the burnout box to heat properly. A lot of the guys saying they didn't get traction probably didn't soon then to the correct temp to make them sticky. Again that leads to quicker wear. You have to really spin those bastard. The ET basically just needs a quick rev and drop the clutch no brakes and they are ready.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:19 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by WutupYo
And I've been reading that the Nitto's last longest out of them all but offer the least traction.
It seems there's a well-known relationship about tires in there somewhere....

Quick Reply: Drag Radial opinions