Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Aluminum Welding

Old 10-07-2015, 04:43 AM
Audi Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz
Default Aluminum Welding

I had a steering rack sent to me, and one of the eyelets was broken off. Anybody got the skills to get it back on? I'm not bad with a MIG welder, but a) I have never welded aluminum, and b) I don't actually have a MIG welder at home.

Thanks.

P.S. The seller is putting in a insurance claim for it being delivered like that (in case you were wondering).
Old 10-07-2015, 11:40 AM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes
Default Re: Aluminum Welding

i imagine its cast aluminum?

if so, the rack needs to be heat treated before its welded. youre honestly better off taking it to a shop
Old 10-07-2015, 12:11 PM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Gen_Crunchytoes
i imagine its cast aluminum?

if so, the rack needs to be heat treated before its welded. youre honestly better off taking it to a shop
I wouldn't even trust that unless its a good welder or a full on machine shop that really knows what they're doing with the preheat and all the rest of the parameters. They might know what they're doing but then again, they might not. IMO, you're better off working with the seller to get a refund and just buying a good one.
Old 10-07-2015, 01:23 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by Yardjass
I wouldn't even trust that unless its a good welder or a full on machine shop that really knows what they're doing with the preheat and all the rest of the parameters. They might know what they're doing but then again, they might not. IMO, you're better off working with the seller to get a refund and just buying a good one.
thats what i meant when i said a shop lol. some kind of higher end custom metal shop somewhere down there
Old 10-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Thanks guys, I was worried that might be the case. Sigh, weekend install fun ruined!