Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Which AC Compressor to get for my 97 Civic LX?? *need advice*

Old 07-22-2014, 05:14 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92-CivicLX has disabled reputation
Default Which AC Compressor to get for my 97 Civic LX?? *need advice*

I have 97 Civic Sedan LX and I got my AC recharged for the 1st time since owning the car. The charge didn't hold and they said I would need a new AC compressor. I currently have a JDM 96 Integra Type R swap in my car and from my understanding, the Integra Type R never came with AC. Is this correct? If so, what AC Compressor will work for me? If it is a stock 97 Civic compressor, does it matter if the compressor came from a VTEC or NON- VTEC version of my car?

Thank you,
Jeremy
Old 07-22-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all
Default Re: Which AC Compressor to get for my 97 Civic LX?? *need advice*

You would need a compressor that will attach to the bracket made for your engine. Since you have a B18C, I believe any B18 bracket would fit (which you probably have) and so you would need a compressor that shares that bolt pattern and is sized appropriately.

I dont know why the Type R wouldnt come with AC stock. Its an amenity many people would not do without.

Here is a link from acuraoemparts.com, with the AC compressor P/N 38810-P9K-E01
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

The GSR has a different compressor P/N 38810-P72-003, but they look the same from the picture on the site. The brackets appear to have some differences though.

If I were you, to save some headache, I would do some research to see if the various B series compressors are interchangeable, as in they can bolt onto each other's brackets. This will open up your options and save you from having to return the part you ordered because it doesnt fit.

Edit: The LS version has P/N 38810-P9K-E01 which is identical to the ITR. They are probably all interchangeable given that.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:06 AM
Registered member

92-CivicLX has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mirrorimg
You would need a compressor that will attach to the bracket made for your engine. Since you have a B18C, I believe any B18 bracket would fit (which you probably have) and so you would need a compressor that shares that bolt pattern and is sized appropriately.

I dont know why the Type R wouldnt come with AC stock. Its an amenity many people would not do without.

Here is a link from acuraoemparts.com, with the AC compressor P/N 38810-P9K-E01

The GSR has a different compressor P/N 38810-P72-003, but they look the same from the picture on the site. The brackets appear to have some differences though.

If I were you, to save some headache, I would do some research to see if the various B series compressors are interchangeable, as in they can bolt onto each other's brackets. This will open up your options and save you from having to return the part you ordered because it doesnt fit.

Edit: The LS version has P/N 38810-P9K-E01 which is identical to the ITR. They are probably all interchangeable given that.

I guess I should take the compressor that is on there now and try to get the part number off that one. Would it be possible it is the D-series compressor or it has to be indeed a B-series compressor on there now?
Old 07-23-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered member

Mirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to allMirrorimg is a name known to all

reading up a little, it could be in fact the D series compressor. If it is the D series compressor, then I would replace it with another. If you get a different one, you may need a couple other things.

This thread is a little confusing, but you may be able to glean a little more from it.
http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2060353