Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What type of cloth for removing wax?

Old 04-08-2004, 08:38 PM
Patron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default What type of cloth for removing wax?

Ok, well I've been using 100% terry cloth towels everytime I waxed my Camaro and I was very pleased with the results. Now I have a black car which shows clearcoat swirls/scratches easier and I was wondering if a cheesecloth or diaper cloth would be better? I wiped my dad's black Corvette down with a terry cloth and I think it made some scratches in the clearcoat and I don't want to do this to my new car.

I felt the cheesecloth and diaper clothes and my work and they feel really soft. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with either of these with removing wax. Thanks in advance.

Joe
Old 04-08-2004, 09:17 PM
I'm audi5000.

nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere. nolongerhere.
Default Re: What type of cloth for removing wax?

i forsee a hell of a lot of pictures of a black firebird at the beach flooding dragva in the coming weeks.

Old 04-09-2004, 03:05 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

the short answer is you need to change the way you apply wax. don't go in circular pattern if you apply by hand. make sure your cotton terry is not laundered with any sort of softener: even dryer sheet. cotton terry is the best, but i tend to go back over the car with 100% baby diaper or even 100% cotton flannel.
Old 04-09-2004, 03:28 AM
VA

travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd travisnd

you need Zaino!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:43 AM
Heretic & RSX driver

EvaUnit01 is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually use a combination terry towels to get the edges and make sure there is no wax. And i use microfiber towels for everything else. Microfiber is really soft and takes wax off like a champ.
Old 04-09-2004, 04:53 AM

Nosious is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got a black car as well and trust me..I know the problems you're going thru. This is like my 7th or 8th car and I've never owned one that was black until now. All other colors of paint are easier to take care of. Black cars tend to swirl much easier from what I've seen. It all depends on the paint that they use.

I've got an 03 Accord EX and it is Nighthawk Black Pearl. Swirls like a champ. I've used Zymol since I got it but no luck. I would recommend a Microfiber Towel to buff out your wax. You can get them at most Auto stores. I did pick up some Black Magic wax the other night and it seems to take the swirls right out. It was only like $7-8 and is designed for darker colors, removing swirls, etc. Everyone has a favorite wax but you should find one that works best with your paint. I'm going to wax it this Saturday and I'll try to post some pics of the differences.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:37 AM
Patron

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-09-2004, 05:53 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

just a secondary tip with the microfibre cloths. i love them too...just be sure to remove the labels as they DO and WILL scratch!
Old 04-09-2004, 06:03 AM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

Yes, only use microfiber.
Old 04-09-2004, 07:12 AM
Patron

Damnit. We sell microfiber cloth at my work and it feels really rough, like I can feel it catching on my hands and shit and it looked like it scratched my clearcoat on my Camaro when I used it on it.

Quick Reply: What type of cloth for removing wax?