Notices
Western VA The Virginia Tech, JMU and surrounding area forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Expired Inspection Ticket

Old 03-27-2012, 04:59 AM
Bewst!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED
Default Expired Inspection Ticket

I got a ticket for an expired inspection sticker last week at a checkpoint, and this is the first time I have ever got any type of ticket other than speeding. Even the officer was pretty cool guy and told me if I got it inspected and appeared in court with proof that the judge would either throw it out or reduce the fines. Before anyone asks, I let my inspection expire because I had a broken rear upper stud on right rear coilover (over-tightened), and to replace it, I have to take the whole back end of the car apart, use an air hammer to bust the broken stud out of the fender well from the inside, and then put a new one in, and get it welded in place. Its a major PITA. Anyways, I am new to all of this so some tips or info would be nice.

Is there anyway I can get the ticket dropped before appearing in court? I know I have the option to pay the fines, but I do not want to pay $91 vs. $16 if I can get it dropped. Also, what do I do? Do I plead guilty, or do I plead not guilty? I've only been in court once before and I pleaded guilty and then requested DIP class and had my ticket thrown out. I am unsure of how the process goes for anything such as an inspection ticket. Also, what places do you guys recommend locally for inspections? I've had mine inspected all over the place, but I had a certain shop at college that I took it to that was very lenient and would pass my car every time. It seems like some shops here are very strict, and then there are some that are more lenient. Who do you guys recommend? The only thing on my car I am worried about passing is my fog lights. I did an independent fog light mod, but they stay on with the high beams, and I've heard that this is considered "illegal" (which makes no sense to me, it seems like it would help more than it would cause harm). If this is the case and I will surely fail the inspection for this, can I just remove the fuses for my fog lights so they don't turn on at all, or do the fog lights HAVE to be fully working properly? I know high beams, turn signals, break lights and reverse lights have to be working, but what about the fogs?

Any info would be greatly appreciated I have court this coming Friday, so I am trying to figure out something quick.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:14 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Expired Inspection Ticket

Take the ticket and vehicle to the station that issued the ticket, they may be able to handle it there without court fees.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:15 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

FYI: If you were to go to court, you'd plead "no contest". Meaning you don't dispute the fact that you were in the wrong.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:16 AM
superuser

I just got my truck inspected on Sunday. Last time it was inspected was August. 2009. LOL @ your ticket.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:27 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

Originally Posted by 4CED-FED
I got a ticket for an expired inspection sticker last week at a checkpoint, and this is the first time I have ever got any type of ticket other than speeding. Even the officer was pretty cool guy and told me if I got it inspected and appeared in court with proof that the judge would either throw it out or reduce the fines. Before anyone asks, I let my inspection expire because I had a broken rear upper stud on right rear coilover (over-tightened), and to replace it, I have to take the whole back end of the car apart, use an air hammer to bust the broken stud out of the fender well from the inside, and then put a new one in, and get it welded in place. Its a major PITA. Anyways, I am new to all of this so some tips or info would be nice.

Is there anyway I can get the ticket dropped before appearing in court? I know I have the option to pay the fines, but I do not want to pay $91 vs. $16 if I can get it dropped. Also, what do I do? Do I plead guilty, or do I plead not guilty? I've only been in court once before and I pleaded guilty and then requested DIP class and had my ticket thrown out. I am unsure of how the process goes for anything such as an inspection ticket. Also, what places do you guys recommend locally for inspections? I've had mine inspected all over the place, but I had a certain shop at college that I took it to that was very lenient and would pass my car every time. It seems like some shops here are very strict, and then there are some that are more lenient. Who do you guys recommend? The only thing on my car I am worried about passing is my fog lights. I did an independent fog light mod, but they stay on with the high beams, and I've heard that this is considered "illegal" (which makes no sense to me, it seems like it would help more than it would cause harm). If this is the case and I will surely fail the inspection for this, can I just remove the fuses for my fog lights so they don't turn on at all, or do the fog lights HAVE to be fully working properly? I know high beams, turn signals, break lights and reverse lights have to be working, but what about the fogs?

Any info would be greatly appreciated I have court this coming Friday, so I am trying to figure out something quick.
blast ticket with piss and get a more practical DD
Old 03-27-2012, 05:32 AM
superuser

If they are installed, they have to work. Yes, if they don't turn off with the high beams, it is not supposed to pass. Is it an independent switch or integrated into your headlight switch?
Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 AM
Registered Member

pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z pearl350z

In similar situations, when the judge asks for my plea, I always state that I was definitely in the wrong,but came today to show that its been taken care of, blah blah blah. I suspect you will get out of the fine, but I don't think they drop court fees for these types of offenses anymore like they used to. I'm pm'ing you about where to take your car.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:33 AM
Bewst!!!

4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED 4CED-FED

okay I've been reading up more on the law for fog lights. I have wired my fog lights so that the factory switch turns them on at ANY time. from the factory, they would only come on with the low beam headlights. Now, I can have them on by themselves, with the parking lights only, with the low beams, or the high beams. But, when I turn on the high beams, I can still flip the switch and turn them off. Would this be something that a shop would be okay with? It is not like I have them wired to where the fog lights cannot be turned off with the high beams. There is just nothing in the wiring that flips them off automatically when the high beams are triggered.

Thanks for the response Digital!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:37 AM
superuser

It's not a question if a shop would pass it, they are not technically supposed to but for $16 fee, they're not looking to hard at details other than basic safety (all lights work, brake pads, tire tread, etc).

If the state inspector gets caught (and they do get audited every once in awhile), the shop can get some serious fines and the dude typically gets demoted to oil change monkey for a long ass time if he's not fired. Not worth putting someone's career at risk. I always bring a dozen donuts, and show up early for inspection appointments 'cause they hate doing them since they take longer and get paid less than other more profitable work.

Not supposed to have a tinted license plate frame either, but you see plenty of those on the road.

Last edited by Computer_Nerd; 03-27-2012 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:47 AM
Bewst!!!

Everything else on my car is pretty much technically sound (brand new tires and wheels, brakes have been fully upgraded and are in perfect shape, all my lights work, no tinted lights, clear license plate covers, front plate, cat is still in place, etc.), so they only thing really I am worried about is the fact that my fog lights will not AUTOMATICALLY cut off when the high beams are activated. The factory switch will turn them off manually, but there is nothing in place that will turn them off automatically. I am wondering if this will be a big deal?

thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Expired Inspection Ticket