Notices
Offroad / 4x4 Because you're never too old to play in the mud.

6" lift and towing

Old 01-03-2011, 12:21 PM
######

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K
Default 6" lift and towing

So.. I have been doing research and i have heard numerous different opinions on the issue and wanted to get some advice from Drag.

Here is the breakdown:

I am looking at the rough Country 6" lift for my 07 Dodge Ram 4x4. Now, this will be more for show rather than performance (only take it offroad for hunting). The kit comes with the 2.5 Rear block. I will be running 35x12.5x20 Nitto Trail grapplers.

I was wondering what kind of safe towing I could do? I will not be towing anything crazy, just my boat (19 foot outboard) and the occational enclosed trailer with hunting stuff in it (15'x8' in size). So the load will not be drastic, but I don't want to put to much stress on the rear.

any input would be great, also will have a drop ball hitch.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:23 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy
Default Re: 6" lift and towing

Does your truck already come with a tow package?
Old 01-03-2011, 12:25 PM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

Yes sir with 3.92 gears
Old 01-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy OverEasy

With what you already have going on I don't really foresee you having any problems towing the things you listed. I mean, you won't be able to tow a house or anything but you should be fine with the lift. About the only thing I was going to say something about was the drop hitch but you said you were getting one.

There is a guy here locally that works at a supply warehouse that we get our siding from and he has basically the same truck and lift you're looking at and hunts as well. He rarely ever goes off road unless its hunting. Hes got the 37x12.5x17 (17s I think) on his and pulls everything from cars to atvs. I talked to him the other day about it cause I had seen him out and he had said he had no problems ever with his setup. Only thing he added was the assisted brakes on his car hauler. That was it.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:41 PM
######

Yeah I heard assisded brakes or hydraulic brakse on a trailor is good for it you are towing alot. But I most likeley will not be, just what was mentioned and maybe a small trailer with a ATV on it.

Thanks for the info.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

No prob. I've only towed with a work truck and that was a Extended Cab Ford 250 with the v10. Other than the gas consumption it was great. We towed our gutter machine and ladders, walkboards . . . plus the weight of a enclosed dual wheel trailer. Never really knew it was there.

I personally don't have anything that I tow with just yet but am planning on using my Cherokee to pull my Samurai whenever it gets done.

I think with what you have going on you'll be fine. I'm sure more that tow will post in here with other suggestions though. Pics of truck please! LOL!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:52 PM
######

I will post picture when I am done with thie lift and wheels.

Not quite sure on the wheel shoice yet either, I want to be sure i like it before I drop the cash..

I am really stuck on the 20x10 rockstars with a 4.5 backspacing with the 35" tire (My truck is black) I know alot of people do not like the rockstars, but I think they look good, and is the look I am going for..

Also Interested in the Mickey thompson Classic II but they do not offer a 17x10 anymore, and a 16" will not clear my brakes.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:58 PM
Suzuki Fanboi

Originally Posted by L_U_C_K
I will post picture when I am done with thie lift and wheels.

Not quite sure on the wheel shoice yet either, I want to be sure i like it before I drop the cash..

I am really stuck on the 20x10 rockstars with a 4.5 backspacing with the 35" tire (My truck is black) I know alot of people do not like the rockstars, but I think they look good, and is the look I am going for..

Also Interested in the Mickey thompson Classic II but they do not offer a 17x10 anymore, and a 16" will not clear my brakes.
Your truck bro! I think the Rockstars look great! I think they would look pretty good on that year truck and that tire size. Just not a big fan of the MT wheels. I had them on my Blazer and just didn't like them. I found it hard to keep the aluminum clean. Maybe that's why I didn't like em...I dunno. Black wheels get my vote!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 AM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Kind of off topic but a good friend of mine has a 4door f350 psd with 18"(all suspension) of lift and we park that bitch where ever the fuck we want. We have had soooo many people come out of their stores and say " you cant park there or I'm going to have that thing towed!" We say "yeah sure you go head and do that its no problem but we are not moving". Its the funniest thing ever to see the tow truck show up thinking they got a easy catch just to be disappointed when they pull in the parking lot realizing that they cant tow that motherfucker. We have yet to find a tow company willing to tow it. Its good stuff.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:37 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

I have 6" and 38's on my F350...it tows just fine. The heaviest thing behind it though is an open car trailer and ~3000lb car. I have Parnelli Jones dirt grips with an E load rating and a drop hitch. I'm sure the Nitto's have a D or E load rating, get the right drop hitch so the trailer pulls level and you'll be fine.

Quick Reply: 6" lift and towing