Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

where to buy non ethanol fuel

Old 11-18-2009, 06:07 PM
FckYoCouch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin
Default Re: where to buy non ethanol fuel

Originally Posted by Boost-box
Where in gods name have you been?!?!?!?
No where, actually... This time o' year sucks for fun with the car, so I kinda drifted away from the car forums... I've been trolling the Dodge truck forums lately.. picked up a '10 Ram 1500 Crew Cab about 3 weeks ago.... I can't believe I bought the Dodge over the Toyota, but it was just nicer... rear coil springs on a big ass truck! Weird....

Still have a leaky turbo seal... $500 for the rebuild, but can't see spending it at this time of year with Christmas and all... Car still runs strong, just blows a little smoke at idle, which is embarrassing as hell at stoplights... Plus, I gots no heater, so 40 degree weather makes for a real shitty cruise night...

Anything new with your car? I remember you were trying to decide which direction to go in with wheels and mods and stuff.... what's up?
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by 93vxhybrid
actually i do... LOL

one gallon of gasoline has roughly 125,000BTU's
one gallon of ethanol has roughly 84,000BTU's

ethanol sucks........... PERIOD
ALRIGHT< TECHNICAL CAR LESSON OF THE DAY!!!!

93 octane=125000 btu
e100 = 84000 btu

virginia gas is 10% ethanol

which brings down the 93 octane from
125000Btu over to 116600 Btu's.......if you REALLY care about a 6.72% loss of thermal energy...YOU SERIOUSLY NEED A TURBO!!!!!

NEWS FLASH...AN EXTRA 7% OF FUEL ENERGY WONT MAKE YOUR 16 SECOND CAR FASTER THAN MY GRANDMAS GRAND-PRIX!!!!

Last edited by NoTorque; 11-20-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:08 AM

J3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the rough

For example, if gasoline is run at its preferred max power air fuel mixture of 12.5/1, it will release approximately 19,000 BTU’s of energy, where ethanol run at its preferred power stoichiometric of 6.5/1 will release approximately 24,400 BTU’s. By comparison, methanol releases slightly more, about 27,650 BTU’s. The more ethanol there is in gasoline, the more powerful it is as a motor fuel. Typically, you can expect at least 5% more horsepower at the rear wheels of a vehicle running on E-85 than one burning gasoline only.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:45 AM
FckYoCouch

rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin rtcarlin

Originally Posted by J3sse
After reading the section entitled "What is Required to run Ethanol Fuels in a Racing Application?", I think it's painfully obvious that more than just the "engine management system" needs to be changed out prior to running ethanol. Such as, anything rubber in the fuel system...... I guess that's why there's not a whole lot of daily driver ethanol vehicles running around............. Because Ethanol isn't compatible with your average built car in heavy doses....
Old 11-20-2009, 09:53 AM

J3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the roughJ3sse is a jewel in the rough

Bigger injectors and a bigger fuel pump is all my evo needs for an easy 50 whp. Availablity is the stopping facter
Old 11-20-2009, 12:28 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by NoTorque
ALRIGHT< TECHNICAL CAR LESSON OF THE DAY!!!!

93 octane=125000 btu
e100 = 84000 btu

virginia gas is 10% ethanol

which brings down the 93 octane from
125000Btu over to 116600 Btu's.......if you REALLY care about a 6.72% loss of thermal energy...YOU SERIOUSLY NEED A TURBO!!!!!

NEWS FLASH...AN EXTRA 7% OF FUEL ENERGY WONT MAKE YOUR 16 SECOND CAR FASTER THAN MY GRANDMAS GRAND-PRIX!!!!
NEWS FLASH! YOUR MATH IS WRONG! Doesn't really matter though.

I already did that math a few pages back.. Your percentage is about double what it should be.

0.9*125000+0.1*84000 = 120900, not 116600....

Percent difference:
((125000-120900)/(0.5(125000+120900)))*100= 3.33%

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-20-2009 at 12:43 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:40 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by rtcarlin
After reading the section entitled "What is Required to run Ethanol Fuels in a Racing Application?", I think it's painfully obvious that more than just the "engine management system" needs to be changed out prior to running ethanol. Such as, anything rubber in the fuel system...... I guess that's why there's not a whole lot of daily driver ethanol vehicles running around............. Because Ethanol isn't compatible with your average built car in heavy doses....
It's mostly because the availability of E85 isn't there yet, unless you're someplace like here in Colorado. There are a number of guys out here who exclusively run E85 in their project cars. 105 octane and a (heavily government subsidized) price per gallon less than gasoline is pretty attractive...

The problem is that you need a engine management system capable of detecting and operating from any mixture of 100% gas to 100% E85, which is what flex-fuel vehicles have. If you tune for E85, you need to run E85 only. If you tune for gas, you need to run gas only. The larger injectors, fuel pump, ethanol-safe lines, etc., are easy to do and not really the issue. Without a proper lambda sensor and a fuel composition sensor (and an ECU capable of compensating using that data), you really can't just switch back and forth from tank to tank and expect good results.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 11-20-2009 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:46 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

Make your own

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_distillation
Old 11-21-2009, 06:32 AM
NAZI mod

BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER BAN HAMMER

Originally Posted by rtcarlin
No where, actually... This time o' year sucks for fun with the car, so I kinda drifted away from the car forums... I've been trolling the Dodge truck forums lately.. picked up a '10 Ram 1500 Crew Cab about 3 weeks ago.... I can't believe I bought the Dodge over the Toyota, but it was just nicer... rear coil springs on a big ass truck! Weird....

Still have a leaky turbo seal... $500 for the rebuild, but can't see spending it at this time of year with Christmas and all... Car still runs strong, just blows a little smoke at idle, which is embarrassing as hell at stoplights... Plus, I gots no heater, so 40 degree weather makes for a real shitty cruise night...

Anything new with your car? I remember you were trying to decide which direction to go in with wheels and mods and stuff.... what's up?
Still collecting parts for my turbo swap and engine re-build later next year.

I also picked up a truck, a 79 F-100 with a 460 big block. So my attention kind of shifted to that, lol
Old 11-21-2009, 07:55 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
ethanol-safe lines, etc., are easy to do and not really the issue.
What do you do for ethanol safe valve seals? Or do you just deal in direct injection?

Quick Reply: where to buy non ethanol fuel