Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

01 Lexus IS 300 Headlight issue...

Old 11-16-2009, 11:19 AM
BLACK&YELLOW

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Polow da Don has disabled reputation
Question 01 Lexus IS 300 Headlight issue...

Problem:
One headlight(H.I.D) doesn't work. I replaced ballast, light bulbs and fuses. NOTHING worked. Took it to Lexus and had it looked at.The headlight leaked and water shorted out the ballast and fucked everything. Dealership suggested to replace the entire lighting system for ~$3000. Uh no, the car itself is only worth $6,500. Not going to happen.

If I buy another aftermarket H.I.D system, will I be able to just wire it to let's say a fog light switch and bypass the normal lighting system all together? It seems easy enough. Just weighing my options here. Any other suggestions would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

rexrunner rexrunner rexrunner
Default Re: 01 Lexus IS 300 Headlight issue...

That does not seem right. If it fried the ballast, there is supposed to be a fail safe that would prevent the entire circuitry to fail. Is there a control module located before the ballasts? Maybe changing that out will do It. I would get a schematic of the lighting system and troubleshoot it using that instead of replacing the entire system. Good luck with it. If you p.m. me the schematic I will try to help you.
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you get an aftermarket system, you can use the same stalk wiring as the stock HID system uses. Blowing the ballast isn't going to mess up the headlight switches, so you should only need to run power to the aftermarket HID ballasts and control them with the stock stalk switches, so you'll be doing a virtually drop-in replacement. Just remove the stock HID system and you should be removing all of the damage. That being said, you'll still have to make sure your headlight housings are watertight, or you'll have the same problem with the aftermarket HID system.

Is that the whole story?
Old 11-16-2009, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM 1BDAZM

Does the ballast have power? If entire lighting system was shot both lights wouldnt work...
Old 11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough

I've got one OEM IS300 ballast and bulb laying around. I'm not sure which side it came off of or if that even matters, but I'll sell it to you for like $10. Just PM me and let me know.
Old 11-16-2009, 06:19 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by toyota_aristo
I've got one OEM IS300 ballast and bulb laying around. I'm not sure which side it came off of or if that even matters, but I'll sell it to you for like $10. Just PM me and let me know.
If I were u I would get these from him...buy some other used parts and get your car fixed right and back to factory. There arent that many parts to the system to begin with. just my 2cents. Good luck bro.
Old 11-16-2009, 08:16 PM
BLACK&YELLOW

The passenger side is out. I took the driver's side (which works) and put it in the passenger side. It did not work. So whatever the issue is, it must be within the wiring for the passenger side of the car?? The fuse was fried when I replaced the ballast for the passenger side. I replaced the fuse and it STILL did not work.

I do not know much about HID systems, therefor looking for anything other than light bulbs and ballast issues is beyond my realm of knowledge. This has already cost me roughly $500 or so in O.E.M ballast replacements and O.E.M HID bulbs.

Instead of going round and round with "it's maybe this part that's fucked"( I do sincerely appreciate the input).Or dropping MORE money into this. I guess I'm wondering if I bought an H.I.D system off a vendor here, will I be able to simply wire it to a separate fog light switch and be good to go?
Old 11-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

rexrunner rexrunner rexrunner

You could do the remote switch thing, but you might not be able to pass inspection. To do the aftermarket HID system with a remote switch will have to be a hack job also. I have not seen one (low kit) that does not use the stock headlight plug. You would have to cut the end of the particular harness and wire it up for power, ground and remote, which to me, sounds like a lot more work. Just my input though. Again, good luck
Old 11-16-2009, 08:56 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Seriously, I think whatever problem you have is with the stock power and ground wiring, not the headlight switch wiring, so you should be able to use the headlight switch wiring to turn on an aftermarket set of HIDs with no problem. Just run your own power and ground.
Old 11-17-2009, 07:58 AM
BLACK&YELLOW

I will scoop up another set of HID's and run it to the car's power and ground as Fabrik8 suggested. HOPEFULLY this will fix the issue. Any shop or person recommendations for this type of work? I've exhausted myself on this issue now.