Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Headlight Laws??

Old 09-22-2008, 07:33 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ricer Rob has disabled reputation
Default Headlight Laws??

I just picked up an 02 RSX-S last week that has HIDs installed. Not sure if they are aftermarket or not but they're birght as hell, to me they look brighter than most other HIDs I see on the road. The guy I bought it from told me he thinks they're legal but I swear I took it around the block the other night and had 3 cars flash their high beams at me, I even passed a cop in the oncoming lane and he slowed to almost a stop, thought he was going to turn around and pull me over.

So I was just wondering what the laws were on HIDs in the area. anyone??
Old 09-22-2008, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R jentegraGS-R
Default Re: Headlight Laws??

If they aren't stock, then they are illegal.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546 disheeki546

hids installed in to fixtures not made for hids are illegal. so basically 99% percent of the people who have them around here are. if they are aftermarket that is. when they come factory, or you buy or make your own headlamp with a projector style fixture, it will be legal. a lot of aftermarket headlights say they are projectors, but the proper kind is like a glass half dome. pretty easy to see the difference.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:38 AM
DayCrew© Dude

Johnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond reputeJohnny Bravo has a reputation beyond repute

make sure the lights are aimed properly?
Old 09-22-2008, 07:42 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by JNYBGUD
id try this first, if you dont want to fuck with it.

but it is illegal for the most part
Old 09-22-2008, 07:53 AM
Registered Member

bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx bbsIx

their illegal period, but people who retrofit them properly can get away with them because their not noticeable
Old 09-22-2008, 08:01 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Originally Posted by JNYBGUD
I'm pretty sure theyre aimed properly because theyre not too bad unless you kind of crouch down lower, I'll check it out though.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:02 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Originally Posted by bbsIx
their illegal period, but people who retrofit them properly can get away with them because their not noticeable
hmm, didn't know.. I didnt know if there was a law stating how bright they can be or anything like that.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

Originally Posted by Ricer Rob
hmm, didn't know.. I didnt know if there was a law stating how bright they can be or anything like that.
I got a Highbeam ticket once in NC.

but VA pretty much says in a nutshell, If it aint stock its illegal........PERIOD.
Old 09-22-2008, 08:04 AM
05 Kawi ZX6R

Originally Posted by disheeki546
hids installed in to fixtures not made for hids are illegal. so basically 99% percent of the people who have them around here are. if they are aftermarket that is. when they come factory, or you buy or make your own headlamp with a projector style fixture, it will be legal. a lot of aftermarket headlights say they are projectors, but the proper kind is like a glass half dome. pretty easy to see the difference.
yea mine aren't projector either, I think that might be it because instead of a more narrow beam they kind of just flood the street.

Quick Reply: Headlight Laws??