Notices
757 The 757 forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Speeding ticket

Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 AM
green box is back!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of
Default Speeding ticket

This is not a thread to rant or say I hate cops just need a little insight. I just got a speeding ticket for 79 in 65. The cop said he didnt use radar and he was pacing me. So I am not sure how much leeway I have to get out of this. I have not had much experience with tickets. So maybe someone could help me out.
Old 03-29-2008, 11:37 AM
Registered Member

99LudaPre is a jewel in the rough99LudaPre is a jewel in the rough99LudaPre is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Speeding ticket

Not being a reckless ticket I would get a speedo recalibration and go to court. Also, take the online I DRIVE SAFELY course before hand. Present the certificate to the judge along with your recalibration reciept and good luck. The I DRIVE SAFELY course adds 5 points to your record.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:36 PM

jdmsijdm has disabled reputation

if you get a lawyer, and on the day of court your lawyer asks for proof that the officers speedometer was correctly calibrated at the time of the ticket, and he does not have that proof, which he won't, then the judge will dismiss this, and you win.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:29 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by jdmsijdm
if you get a lawyer, and on the day of court your lawyer asks for proof that the officers speedometer was correctly calibrated at the time of the ticket, and he does not have that proof, which he won't, then the judge will dismiss this, and you win.
I wouldn't bank on the officer or Trooper not having his or her calibration. Any officer that paces cars with his patrol vehicle to write speeding tickets "lives and dies" by the car calibrations. Sure there's a chance, but if thats your defense..it's a long shot at best. I have every calibration from every cruiser I have ever driven. I have ten years with VSP. The code of Va requires the patrol vehicle to be calibrated once a year. Each calibration is good for a year via the code, but most departments do it twice a year.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:26 PM

jdmsijdm has disabled reputation

Ive know of 3 people in my life, in va beach anyway, that got tickets while being paced, and each one of them got off using this defense. And two of the 3 were pulled by state troopers while on 64.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:32 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

I'd still find a better defense.

Edit: I'm not saying it isn't worth a try, but I'd have something else to fall back on.

Last edited by SMOKEYBEAR; 03-29-2008 at 05:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2008, 05:36 PM
Registered member

sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr sjfehr

Is there an unwritten law of just how fast you can go on the highways around here and not get a ticket? Driving speed limit is clearly not safe- I'm not about to risk my life driving 55 on 64! Traffic seems to flow about 65-70 and I always figured that was safe from both a safety and ticket standpoint, until one morning driving around Indian River, BAM, car behind me flicks on his lights, and I get a ticket for going 70 in a 55. I couldn't believe it. I mean, not much I can do- I knew it was 15 over, but still, that's the typical speed of traffic, why should I be singled out? Is there some magic number the speed traps are set at where below it is "safe driver, let him be" and above it is "ticket the mofo"?
Old 03-29-2008, 09:16 PM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

Originally Posted by sjfehr
Is there an unwritten law of just how fast you can go on the highways around here and not get a ticket? Driving speed limit is clearly not safe- I'm not about to risk my life driving 55 on 64! Traffic seems to flow about 65-70 and I always figured that was safe from both a safety and ticket standpoint, until one morning driving around Indian River, BAM, car behind me flicks on his lights, and I get a ticket for going 70 in a 55. I couldn't believe it. I mean, not much I can do- I knew it was 15 over, but still, that's the typical speed of traffic, why should I be singled out? Is there some magic number the speed traps are set at where below it is "safe driver, let him be" and above it is "ticket the mofo"?

Yes...90mph. Good luck
Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Originally Posted by NFCstang
Yes...90mph. Good luck
The funny thing is, someone else will read that and honestly believe it.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:23 PM
green box is back!

DonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud ofDonVizMe has much to be proud of

wow thanks for the imput. I am going to get my speedo re calibrated, I didnt know about the online course. I will do that as well. This is my first speeding ticket. This was in henrico county so i have no Idea about the judges there. And does anyone know where I can get my speedo calibrated at?

Quick Reply: Speeding ticket