Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

Old 11-25-2007, 11:00 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLOW SOL has disabled reputation
Default Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

it also depends on what county your in also, everyone has different rules
Old 11-25-2007, 11:45 AM
Registered Member

NoRider has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by SLOW SOL
I drove mine all the time for years and never got in any trouble, kept hearing everyone talking about you can only drive it to and from a shop/show. who checks the mileage to verify how much you drive it? Mine has never been checked in the 5 years i have owned it. I dont need inspection or emissions just a county sticker, and yes the new law states you must show proof of another vehicle and get it notorized to prove you dont drive the car dailey with trhe tags to get away with the no inspection/emissions
Well I would register the car in Charlottesville if I was to do this. But the Classic car laws wouldn't apply for a skyline since its not 25 years old. Another problem arose as well... The title for the car would be from Canada, so it would be impossible to get a US state title unless I went through all of the legal processes... that is UNLESS SOMEONE HAS A CONNECTION AT THE DMV THAT WOULD OVERLOOK THIS FOR A SMALL FEE.... I'm just trying to get a GTR R32... it shouldn't have to be this hard in the first place...
Old 11-25-2007, 12:16 PM
mmmmmm

Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake Harold_Fastwake

Yes it should. Car was never sold here and never crash tested here. Therefore, they don't want you having it. Its not that hard to understand. Just go buy an accord and do a conversion on it.
Old 11-25-2007, 01:25 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

or register it as a collectible? i could do that with my vert and pretty much do anything to it motor wise and not have any trouble
Old 11-25-2007, 01:57 PM
|OoOo|oOoO|

atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays atifsays

R33's were crash tested here
Old 11-25-2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 240sxftw
or register it as a collectible? i could do that with my vert and pretty much do anything to it motor wise and not have any trouble
Hmmm that sounds like it could be an option... I'm going to look into it, but could you give me any more info??
Old 11-25-2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by atifsays
R33's were crash tested here
YA but Motorex didn't release what mods had to be done so the public can't do shit!
Old 11-25-2007, 06:17 PM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

Originally Posted by NoRider
Hmmm that sounds like it could be an option... I'm going to look into it, but could you give me any more info??
i really cant tell you much more, i saw that some guy on the vert forum i frequent did it, he got a different type of insurance that would let him do that, so he now has a rb26 in it, living in cali
Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by 240sxftw
i really cant tell you much more, i saw that some guy on the vert forum i frequent did it, he got a different type of insurance that would let him do that, so he now has a rb26 in it, living in cali
hmm... alright thanks for the info. I'm gonna look into that, I still think the biggest thing is going to be getting the car through customs... I'd honestly rather do it illegally to avoid all the trouble lol.
Old 11-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Registered Member

Ok so, I couldn't find any info on collectibles from the DMV site, but I did find some info on "specially constructed vehicles" and "hobby vehicles".

n Virginia, custom-built cars, kit cars, street rods, and vehicles built from parts of other vehicles are known as specially constructed or reconstructed vehicles. There are no special registration or titling classifications for them except for antique vehicles and antique trailers. Certain foreign vehicles may require extra documentation for titling and registering.

When titling and registering a hobby vehicle or foreign/imported vehicle, you must state on the application whether it is antique, specially constructed, reconstructed, or foreign/imported. The DMV requires evidence of previous registration, such as a certificate of title, and may require additional documentation to prove ownership.

Transportation Restrictions on Antique and Specially Constructed Vehicles
While Virginia is friendlier to car hobbyists than other states, there are restrictions as to the use of hobby cars. Antique and hobby vehicles are not to be used for general transportation purposes. You can drive them for participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events; on highways to test their operation or get them serviced or repaired; and for occasional pleasure within 250 miles of your home.

To use an antique vehicle for general transportation purposes, it must pass a safety inspection like any other vehicle, and you must pay the normal registration fee. You must also display current decals on the license plate(s).

The Code of Virginia lists specific guidelines for the registration and use of antique cars and trailers.
Titling and Storage of Hobby Vehicles

Specially or reconstructed vehicles are titled according to their chassis numbers, if any, or by their motor serial numbers. Inspections are required according to the model year that is shown on the registration.

You may store unlicensed operable or inoperable vehicles on your property if they don't constitute a health hazard and are hidden from public view (such as by a garage, fence, or trees). Local zoning ordinances still apply, however.

When registering a specially or reconstructed vehicle, you will receive one license plate, which you should mount on the rear of the vehicle.

So from what I understand from this. Registration as a hobby car is a legal way to register one of these vehicles. All it has to do is pass safety inspection... which a skyline could. I guess the key is to drive within 250 miles of your house and not use it for regular use.... i guess I'm going to call DMV and see how this would all work out if I was to register it as a hobby vehicle what would I need. I STILL think that the Canadian title is going to be a problem unless I do it straight legal across the border... Thats going to be terrible...

Quick Reply: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...