Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

Old 11-24-2007, 10:24 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NoRider has disabled reputation
Default Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

My question is basically how old does a car have to be in Virginia to get Classic Car tags, and also what do these tags give you? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of importing a Skyline GTR, and I want to see if I could import an GTR R32 and if I would be some way legal to do this due to its age. These cars are hitting over 15 years old in some cases, and I'm trying to find info to see if you can get around emissions and or safety inspection with classic cars. I'm assuming the emissions is gone, but you still have to pass safety inspection. Is this assumption correct? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:07 PM
Huntin Dropa ForLife

RPRacing has disabled reputation
Default Re: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...

call DMV.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:13 PM
Cock of the Infinite

tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240 tiki240

with antique plates you CANNOT park the vehicle anywhere except your home and at a show and the gas station. that means no trips to walmart, no taking it to dinner, etc etc. the laws were put in place for exactly your type of person. Someone circumventing the current registration and inspection laws by using a loophole. so they fixed it. If you are caught driving the car more that a certain number of miles in a year, driving it daily, or operating it in any manner other than straight to a bonafied classic car show, you can be ticketed. and its a hefty fine and you lose the privledge to use classic plates for something like 10 years. its no joke.
Old 11-24-2007, 11:31 PM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NoRider
My question is basically how old does a car have to be in Virginia to get Classic Car tags, and also what do these tags give you? The reason I ask is because I'm thinking of importing a Skyline GTR, and I want to see if I could import an GTR R32 and if I would be some way legal to do this due to its age. These cars are hitting over 15 years old in some cases, and I'm trying to find info to see if you can get around emissions and or safety inspection with classic cars. I'm assuming the emissions is gone, but you still have to pass safety inspection. Is this assumption correct? Any help would be appreciated.
just buy a motorexed skyline. the only real way if you want a skyline
Old 11-25-2007, 05:35 AM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy

Plus I believe it is 25 years, so, it won't work anyway.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:38 AM
Desolation

Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch Flinch

Originally Posted by tiki240
with antique plates you CANNOT park the vehicle anywhere except your home and at a show and the gas station. that means no trips to walmart, no taking it to dinner, etc etc. the laws were put in place for exactly your type of person. Someone circumventing the current registration and inspection laws by using a loophole. so they fixed it. If you are caught driving the car more that a certain number of miles in a year, driving it daily, or operating it in any manner other than straight to a bonafied classic car show, you can be ticketed. and its a hefty fine and you lose the privledge to use classic plates for something like 10 years. its no joke.
You can drive it to exercise it, or atleast I could when I had antique tags about 4 years ago.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:15 AM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

Originally Posted by tiki240
with antique plates you CANNOT park the vehicle anywhere except your home and at a show and the gas station.
Since when?

We own a few vehicles with antique plates and the only thing DMV ever said was we can't drive them over "X" amount of miles per year and a law recently added is that the owners have to submit a notarized certification that the vehicle meets all saftey requirements.

I've never heard of what you're talking about.
Old 11-25-2007, 06:48 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/ci...es/antique.asp

To clarify a couple of things:

1. Vehicle must be at least 25 model years old - 1983 as of right now.
2. Cannot be used for general transportation - meaning you can't drive it to and from work.
3. Can participate in antique shows or similar events.
4. Can be driven to events, for testing, and for pleasure up to 250 miles from home - the wording allows unlimited mileage so that you can drive it to a show in CA if you wish. The 250 mile limit is only for pleasure driving not related to a car related event.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:54 AM
I hate soccermoms

v8Buster has disabled reputation

car has to be 25 years old and i believe u can only put 2,000 miles on it a year. and if u take the car to work or stuff like that and drive it daily, they will ticket you .
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 AM
Registered member

SLOW SOL has disabled reputation

I drove mine all the time for years and never got in any trouble, kept hearing everyone talking about you can only drive it to and from a shop/show. who checks the mileage to verify how much you drive it? Mine has never been checked in the 5 years i have owned it. I dont need inspection or emissions just a county sticker, and yes the new law states you must show proof of another vehicle and get it notorized to prove you dont drive the car dailey with trhe tags to get away with the no inspection/emissions

Quick Reply: Classic Car Laws In Virginia...