Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Car Modification Laws in Virginia

Old 10-21-2007, 07:05 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just_ME has disabled reputation
Default Car Modification Laws in Virginia

Hello everyone, names Mark. I, like everyone here, love cars and everything about them. How ever the laws in Virginia prevent us from having a road worthy modified car. We still have them but can’t go anywhere or do anything with out having to worry about a cop give us a ticket. What I would like to do is talk to our governor and see what we can do about changing these laws. I have already E-mailed a few other state governors asking for reports or accidents caused by a modified vehicle. I come to this site asking for support and anyone who has an idea or who would like to help me and my friends out, please help. Maybe one or two people can’t change a law, but if we join together and help each other out we might be able to change this law. Anyone want to help?
Old 10-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Banned

4btsvii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Modification Laws in Virginia

Originally Posted by Just_ME
Hello everyone, names Mark. I, like everyone here, love cars and everything about them. How ever the laws in Virginia prevent us from having a road worthy modified car. We still have them but can’t go anywhere or do anything with out having to worry about a cop give us a ticket. What I would like to do is talk to our governor and see what we can do about changing these laws. I have already E-mailed a few other state governors asking for reports or accidents caused by a modified vehicle. I come to this site asking for support and anyone who has an idea or who would like to help me and my friends out, please help. Maybe one or two people can’t change a law, but if we join together and help each other out we might be able to change this law. Anyone want to help?
A long shot. There is very little hope for something like this. VA doesn't care about that. It's just more money for them because they know we are out there. Look at the new speeding laws and fines! They don't care. It's all about the money. They will be losing alot of it if they were to change mod laws. The system isn't out to do us ANY favors. If there was a way I'de be all for it.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:31 AM
Banned

delxsol is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome to the commonwealth
Old 10-21-2007, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

RedCobaltSS has disabled reputation

he means commiewealth
Old 10-21-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Well we can at least try to do something about it. Doesn’t hurt to try you know? If nothing else we can still register our cars somewhere else or just move. I am just annoyed about how dumb this state is on laws and all of that.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

cpakc1 is an unknown quantity at this point

You pretty much said your only real option, and that is to move to another state. Just research the amount of money the VA government makes off these laws. The arrogant bastards went so far to borrow money for news road projects using the potential revenue they project to make off these admin fees over the next 5 years as collateral. That's ballsy.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

Thank you all for the feed back. And the info, anymore please keep it coming. I will still bring this up with the governor and see what I can change. I just need support and any help anyone offers.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 AM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

The problem with trying to change the laws in place is that they're seen as being there for the "greater good". Since most people don't modify there car to any extremes the laws don't effect most people. They are probably making a minor amount of money each year off of "exhaust" and "suspension" tickets, especially since a lot of people go get their car "fixed" after they get a ticket and get it thrown out in court. Because of that the laws can be used as an excuse to generate revenue for local businesses. If you want to write a letter to the governor go for it, I'd be curious to see if there was any response at all.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
The problem with trying to change the laws in place is that they're seen as being there for the "greater good". Since most people don't modify there car to any extremes the laws don't effect most people. They are probably making a minor amount of money each year off of "exhaust" and "suspension" tickets, especially since a lot of people go get their car "fixed" after they get a ticket and get it thrown out in court. Because of that the laws can be used as an excuse to generate revenue for local businesses. If you want to write a letter to the governor go for it, I'd be curious to see if there was any response at all.
Well I am also talking about simple mods like tint and sound systems and things like that. Sure not everyone wants to lower there car or wants to raise there car or anything like that but they are some things people would like to do that is not allowed in VA. I find it stupid how for example we HAVE to have a license plate in the front of our cars. Its pointless, I have been told its for cops, well I have been pulled over a few times and I dont know about yall but the cops dont look at my front plates, they pull in behind me and run my plates. I dont understand that. Its just stupid little stuff like that, that gets to me.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:19 AM
Evil Bumblebee

milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG

This is probably the longest running debate among the modding community in virginia. For many years, attempts have been made to change these retarded laws, but all have failed. The fact of the matter is the state is making too much money off this to let it go. And you all know as well as i do, its not the people who mod their cars in taste or to increase the performance but the idiots who do it to be cool (or try to be ). I think the way you should approach this is maybe find another facet of the state they can make money on to try and take their mind of the modding laws or at least let it take a back seat. Just my .02...

Quick Reply: Car Modification Laws in Virginia