Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Lexus IS 300 ?'s

Old 02-16-2006, 06:24 PM
Works on S2000's.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory
Default Lexus IS 300 ?'s

My girlfriend is thinking about purchasing a 2001 Lexus IS 300. I was wondering are there any "common" problems? And, the car she test drove already had 76,000 miles on it. When (what milage) does the timing chain/belt (don't know what it has) need to be replaced? I'm not into the whole Toyota/Lexus thing, so I'm not quite sure. And, any negatives about the car? Any help is good help. Also, any forums that I can read up on before she buys it? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:08 PM
OG from 2000

SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94 SHOFEAR94
Default Re: Lexus IS 300 ?'s

I did a little research on the IS300's because I was seriously wanting one. I understand the 2001's had a few issues, most likely because that was their first year and the 2002's and newer had any kinks taken care of. I dont know of any specific problems, it has the same 3.0 inline 6 that Supras have and I have in my GS300. They ride a tad stiff but handle well. I would say get a lower mileage 2002 or 2003 because Lexus offers a 5 year 70k miles powertrain warranty. 76K is high to start with. The 01's have a half suede/half leather seating which I personally dont like' most 2002's and all 2003's and newer have all leather and Navigation was an option 2002 and newer.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:12 PM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

early models have transmission issues. 2 people i know that bought them new have blown them at like 10k miles. one auto, one manual. neither of them drove it too hard.

cd players sometimes eat cds.

these are both recalls though, so if you run into those problems, i believe they are required to fix them. i havent heard of anything other than that.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:14 AM
Virginia Beach 757

_crs has disabled reputation

01s are ALL AUTOMATICS thats the main problem :P..but its true they have had some tran. issues but get the recall done and you'll be ok. Just make sure that if you buy one that ALL the recalls have been performed and ask for proof.
Old 02-17-2006, 04:45 AM
Bath salt trippin'

Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon Junon

ahhh, my bad haha, i guess my buddy has an '02 in stick.

since the car has 76k miles, i dont think you would have any issues with the tranny, that probably would have happened already (they all supposidly blow early, if they do).

the cd player is another issue, a co-worker of mine hasn't had hers work for a few months now.

regardless, check out http://my.is/ - they have some good information on the forums.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:31 AM
Works on S2000's.

thanks a million for all the responses. she wants an auto, because she can't drive a manual very well. i guess we will go look at some 02's+ then. we just happen to stop and look last night, and found one for her to drive. she wanted to make sure she liked it before she made any final decisions. she really liked it, but as someone said, the half suede half leather wasn't all that great. thanks again.
Old 02-18-2006, 05:33 AM
ASE Master

onepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud ofonepointone has much to be proud of

im a lexus certified tech.

we dont really see too many is300's in the shop for common problems besides the cd player issue. they used to eat cd's all the time. i think they redesigned it. i havent seen one come into the dealership for that issue in a long time now that i think about it.

i have seen one manual trans. go out, but it had 100k+ on the car, with a stupid ass body kit, nitrous, and some other crap.

also, ive saw a clutch go out at 45k miles, but it had drift stickers all over it, it was lowered, and blah blah blah.. the flywheel had heat spots all over it, so it was more than likely due to abuse.

i think its a good car, i would definately own one. i know your in hampton, but if you do decide to get it, and want me to look it over for you, i can.

also, we rec. the timing belt be replaced at 90,000 miles on all lexus vehicles. the 90k is an expensive service, but i may be able to help you out on that if you want. but that would be miles down the road.

if you have to money to spend, get a lexus certified pre-owned IS. lexus is EXTREMELY awesome about helping out their customers with stuff. so much it makes me sick sometimes being a tech...

hope that helps, let me know if you need anything with it though.
Old 02-18-2006, 07:58 AM
Hot Seduction: Vol 1

1badITR can only hope to improve

Great info. I plan on getting mine in about a month. Man its hard finding a red 02-03 with a manual tranny.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:11 AM
Works on S2000's.

Originally Posted by onepointone
im a lexus certified tech.

we dont really see too many is300's in the shop for common problems besides the cd player issue. they used to eat cd's all the time. i think they redesigned it. i havent seen one come into the dealership for that issue in a long time now that i think about it.

i have seen one manual trans. go out, but it had 100k+ on the car, with a stupid ass body kit, nitrous, and some other crap.

also, ive saw a clutch go out at 45k miles, but it had drift stickers all over it, it was lowered, and blah blah blah.. the flywheel had heat spots all over it, so it was more than likely due to abuse.

i think its a good car, i would definately own one. i know your in hampton, but if you do decide to get it, and want me to look it over for you, i can.

also, we rec. the timing belt be replaced at 90,000 miles on all lexus vehicles. the 90k is an expensive service, but i may be able to help you out on that if you want. but that would be miles down the road.

if you have to money to spend, get a lexus certified pre-owned IS. lexus is EXTREMELY awesome about helping out their customers with stuff. so much it makes me sick sometimes being a tech...

hope that helps, let me know if you need anything with it though.
thanks alot. that helped. where do you work at? if you don't mind me asking. we plan on going to a charles barker dealer soon. shes trading in her 04 Accord, so we pretty much have to go to a dealer. thanks again.
Old 02-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Hating...

JKim has disabled reputation

is300...is it a girly car? or just that alot of girls drive it?...

hmmm

Quick Reply: Lexus IS 300 ?'s