Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Coolant flush ?'s -93 Honda Civic DX

Old 01-13-2006, 01:29 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bew556 has disabled reputation
Default Coolant flush ?'s -93 Honda Civic DX

Alright I plan on doing a coolant flush tomorrow and have done a sh** load of researching online as well as read my owners manual over about 10 times. There are still a few facts I want to get straight though before I do this.

1. Is it ok just to drain from underneath the radiator and not behind the engine block, i've heard it is difficult to get to the one behind the block which is why I ask?

2. After I drain the old fluids out, push the drain plug back in, and fill the radiator up with water, how long should I let it run(with heater full blast) or how long does it normally take for the radiator fans to come on twice, just so I can get an idea? Also I've heard of some people driving with nothing but water in it for a day and then flushing it out and repeating this until the water came out clean, is this ok?

3. Is it ok to flush the system out with regular tap water but when I am done flushing to put distilled water/antifreeze in, I heard somewhere that even when you flush some of the water is left behind which is a reason not to use tap water, but I don't want to have to buy 5 bottles of distilled water?

4. Is it easier to drain the radiator from the drain plug or using one of the hoses that comes out near the bottom?

5. Is it correct that I fill antifreeze/water to the neck of the radiator? Even doing this do I also fill the reserve tank to almost MAX?

6. Can anyone recommend a good antifreeze to look for that is not already mixed with water because I have already bought 2 gallons of distilled water?

7. I still can't find anywhere how much antifreeze/water I will need to put into the cooling system. Is one gallon of each(water and antifreeze) in the radiator and one gallon of each in the reserve tank sound right?

I didn't write any questions down as I researched so if I add one or two that I forgot about later on, sorry. Thanks in advance to anyone who helps and also if you have any tips or easier ways to do things, let me know, thanks.

-Ben
Old 01-13-2006, 04:01 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear
Default Re: Coolant flush ?'s -93 Honda Civic DX

i cant answer all your questions, however i know the mix of antifreeze to water should be around 50/50. Peak makes pretty good antifreeze, along with Prestone.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy Snoopy
Default Re: Coolant flush ?'s -93 Honda Civic DX

Originally Posted by bew556
3. Is it ok to flush the system out with regular tap water but when I am done flushing to put distilled water/antifreeze in, I heard somewhere that even when you flush some of the water is left behind which is a reason not to use tap water, but I don't want to have to buy 5 bottles of distilled water?

5. Is it correct that I fill antifreeze/water to the neck of the radiator? Even doing this do I also fill the reserve tank to almost MAX?

6. Can anyone recommend a good antifreeze to look for that is not already mixed with water because I have already bought 2 gallons of distilled water?

7. I still can't find anywhere how much antifreeze/water I will need to put into the cooling system. Is one gallon of each(water and antifreeze) in the radiator and one gallon of each in the reserve tank sound right?
Ok heres what I know:

3. Its fine to flush it out with tap water, it isnt going to hurt anything. It also doesnt matter if you use bottled water, but eh you already got some sooo why not use it.

5. Yes all the way up to where u can see / touch it with the tip of your finger right at the top. Dont have your reserior max'd out because hot water / antifreeze will expand causing that shit to go everywhere. Try to keep it around low / middle for the reserivor tank.

6. I would go with prestone, but thats me. Its all basicly the same shit.

7. I eyeball my shit out... But thats me... up to you..