Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GSR tranny making noise???

Old 08-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b18c1EJcivic has disabled reputation
Default GSR tranny making noise???

I have a 99 civic with a GSR swap. When the car is on and my foot is off the clutch pedal there is a wierd noise coming from the tranny, When I put my foot on the clutch the noise stops. My dad says its the throw out bearing. I was wondering what will happen if I dont replace it? If I have to replace it how hard will it be to replace?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:02 PM

cimburke23 has disabled reputation
Default Re: GSR tranny making noise???

well to replace it you have to pull the tranny, and your dad sounds 100% right to me. What will happen? i am not sure, i always want to try and prevent anything from happening if i am able to. know what i mean?
Old 08-17-2005, 05:05 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

its quite possible that its the t/o bearing, if you dont replace it, it will eventually seize and/or shred and cause the tranny to not be able to go into gear properly or not at all,the t/o bearing puts pressure on the pressure plate, if you cant release your pressure plate then you wont be able to shift. to replace it the tranny needs to be pulled.....hell it could be other things, my pressure plate actually exploded once, that made alot of noise, also if it increases with speed it could be your differential main bearings....

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 08-17-2005 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:23 PM
Registered Member

b18c1EJcivic has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
its quite possible that its the t/o bearing, if you dont replace it, it will eventually seize and/or shred and cause the tranny to not be able to go into gear properly or not at all,the t/o bearing puts pressure on the pressure plate, if you cant release your pressure plate then you wont be able to shift. to replace it the tranny needs to be pulled.....hell it could be other things, my pressure plate actually exploded once, that made alot of noise, also if it increases with speed it could be your differential main bearings....
I guess I am going to replace it to be on the safe side. It does not increase with speed. It only makes the sound when my foot is off the clutch pedal.