Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Passing inspection with a cracked fog light

Old 08-12-2010, 04:08 AM
beautiful struggle

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quentin has disabled reputation
Default Re: Passing inspection with a cracked fog light

Gas stations are usally the most lenient.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:23 AM
Registered member

Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2 Jenkinsal2

Technically if the bulb housing is still in the lens it must be functional and pass the inspection process along with the other lights. Remove the bulb housing from the back of the foglight if possible and ziptie it up out of the way. This will make the lens a "decorative" lens and will no longer be subject to the inspection process.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:24 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

give her the money to get a light you fucking cheap ass.
Old 08-12-2010, 04:31 AM
Drives a Mustang

TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6 TransAmWS6

i cant imagine the place i go for inspection would ever fail for something like that lol. just take it out of the car and put it back in after inspection.
Old 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM
uhh.. what?

idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly idkmybffEM1ly

Originally Posted by TransAmWS6
i cant imagine the place i go for inspection would ever fail for something like that lol. just take it out of the car and put it back in after inspection.
this
Old 08-13-2010, 01:31 AM
Banned

White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil White Devil

Originally Posted by TransAmWS6
Anal-retentive ones that make hardly any income for the whole fukin' year will... in a heartbeat.

They have to get their money from somewhere.
Old 08-13-2010, 04:19 AM
CrossFit KILLS

Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r Pharm0r

Originally Posted by Lord Humongous
give her the money to get a light you fucking cheap ass.
Says the mustang driver. =X
Old 08-13-2010, 11:09 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by sea6speed
In VA? I could see Maryland failing you for that type of BS. Seriously, I'd put a thick lens cover over it and make sure the bulb works.
If its not an approved cover (such as Lexan, Plexiglass, etc) it is still not legal. The only approved covers for lights in the Commonwealth (that I know of) is Headlight Savers marketed by a company called Grand Prix Marketing.

Tint (spray or film) is not an approved cover and is rejectable.

Originally Posted by nftuatn
tape a 20$ to the lens...then when he see its cracked he may look the other way,

if not it will cost you 36 bucks and you will still have a rejection

but i would just remove the rejection and go to a mom/pops inspection station
When cars come through the door with no sticker on them and VA tags that are not brand new, it automatically flags the inspector and you will be scrutinized at most shops. We aint dumb, ya know.

Originally Posted by Jenkinsal2
Technically if the bulb housing is still in the lens it must be functional and pass the inspection process along with the other lights. Remove the bulb housing from the back of the foglight if possible and ziptie it up out of the way. This will make the lens a "decorative" lens and will no longer be subject to the inspection process.

Its pretty straight forward. If the light is there, it has to work as a light and be functional. It also has to be clear light emitted from the lens, with no colored material over the lens. It can be rejected for having a piece broken from it. It can be cracked, provided it does not emit off-colored light (this line is mainly for rear lights, so, technically, if the lens is cracked, but not broken and missing pieces, it can be legal). The light cannot have clouding or moisture to alter the aiming pattern of the light.

Originally Posted by Delbanner
Anal-retentive ones that make hardly any income for the whole fukin' year will... in a heartbeat.

They have to get their money from somewhere.

Right, because the only reason they are rejecting the vehicle is so they can make money.

Bullshit.

Have a trooper bust your balls over allowing a cracked lens to pass through and then you can bitch. Better yet, get a fucking 30 day suspension for passing a car with one and getting caught. Fuck that shit. The bullshit we inspectors and stations have to go through is ridiculous.