Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

best way to unclog cooling system?

Old 02-09-2007, 11:10 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sive ick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default best way to unclog cooling system?

so after i took my car to the shop they said i have a block in my radiator,which may be true but when adding antifreeze this afternoon i ran the car to get all the air out,and the line that sends anitfreeze back into the antifreeze resevior is not sending the antifreeze so i believe it had clogged from debris considering it clogged after i flushed the system.

so what is the best method for removing the debris,would a flush eat it away or is there a machine blaster type of deal that shops use??

due to this my cooling system is building up alot of pressure because the antifreeze in the resevoir is not circulating,the sho said it would cost 150+ so i figured i would give it a shot on my own any help is appreciated
Old 02-09-2007, 11:43 AM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis
Default Re: best way to unclog cooling system?

If youre talking about the overflow resvoir. Fluid doesn't always go into it. It sure as hell doesnt in my DC2. and i have zero cooling problem. and if it is that resvoir just pull the hose off and check it
Old 02-09-2007, 09:33 PM
Banned

well there is a line that runs from the head to the resevoir and it use to send cooliant back in it and now it doesnt
Old 02-09-2007, 10:00 PM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

as far as the coolant system.......try water maybe......see if you can just easily flush it.....i wont hurt it...IDK....couldnt hurt to try....
Old 02-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Registered Member

757-A_V_8_R has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sive ick
well there is a line that runs from the head to the resevoir and it use to send cooliant back in it and now it doesnt

Not sure I've seen anything like that before. There is usually only a hose that comes from right below the radiator car. Is it a pressurized resevoir? (meaning the radiator cap is on the resevoir)
Old 02-10-2007, 12:58 PM
Banned

yes its pressurized,i believe there are two or three hoses,one which runs as a main cooliant line,one which i think runs to the heater core/fire wall,and then the small one which im guessing acts as a cooliant return line
Old 02-10-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered Member

757-A_V_8_R has disabled reputation

Are we talking about a honda? I would try running water from that hose into the head. But if it is clogged solid enough that pressure builds up, I doubt a hose flush will help.

Also I'm not sure if you just used water when you flushed it but prestone makes flush and cleaning chemicals for the cooling system.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:16 PM
Banned

nope sadly its a volkswagen,and yes i plan to run water through the system on my next day off i was just looking for for sure ideas of how to unclog it
Old 02-11-2007, 07:52 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

what kind of VW? very good possiblity the impeller on the water pump is cracked off causing no circulation. being there is alot of crap in the system, that is always a good sign of neglect/poor maint. meaning you will have to take every hose off, flush both directions, and clean the shit out of it first, then check to verify flow. very likely its got a sheared impeller, but it will need a new stat also.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

i changed thermostat and the waterpump looked and felt fine