VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Central VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/central-va-15/)
-   -   Inspection Sticker Ticket (Question for the Experienced) (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/central-va-15/inspection-sticker-ticket-question-experienced-370352/)

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 05:46 AM

Inspection Sticker Ticket (Question for the Experienced)

I ended up getting pulled over this morning for not having an inspection sticker on my M3 at all (not like I have an expired sticker...I have no sticker at all). The car is a garage queen and might get driven 1x a week, if that. I registered the car in Virginia in September, so it has been about 6 weeks since the car was registered.

In talking with some friends who have received expired sticker tickets, they were able to get the car inspected and go to court and show a receipt of this and get the charges dismissed and pay no court fees. Can I do this considering I didn't have a sticker at all?

The court cost is $66 which isn't the end of the world, but if I can keep that $66, I would like to.

Thanks for any help.

boredom 11-09-2010 06:08 AM

Re: Inspection Sticker Ticket (Question for the Experienced)

Originally Posted by 95RogueM3 (Post 6694757)
I ended up getting pulled over this morning for not having an inspection sticker on my M3 at all (not like I have an expired sticker...I have no sticker at all). The car is a garage queen and might get driven 1x a week, if that. I registered the car in Virginia in September, so it has been about 6 weeks since the car was registered.

In talking with some friends who have received expired sticker tickets, they were able to get the car inspected and go to court and show a receipt of this and get the charges dismissed and pay no court fees. Can I do this considering I didn't have a sticker at all?

The court cost is $66 which isn't the end of the world, but if I can keep that $66, I would like to.

Thanks for any help.

go get the car inspected and then show up to court with the court costs in case you have to pay them. why is this a hard concept?

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by boredom (Post 6694818)
go get the car inspected and then show up to court with the court costs in case you have to pay them. why is this a hard concept?

Its not even a remotely difficult concept..perhaps you missed the reason behind my post:

I am allowed to go the to county clerk window today and pay the $66 court fine and be on my way without ever having to appear in a courtroom. However, my question is, if I get the car inspected and show up in court I want to know that I won't be made to pay the court fees and have to spend hours in court. I would rather pay $66 and not enter a court room or pay nothing and spend the time in court.

boredom 11-09-2010 06:18 AM

here's a thought...go down to the court house or pick up a phone. perhaps you missed that you were illegally driving a car down the street.

Daft Punk 11-09-2010 06:20 AM

Yea man, get it inspected and show up in court. more than likely they will waive the fees and be on your way.

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by boredom (Post 6694838)
here's a thought...go down to the court house or pick up a phone. perhaps you missed that you were illegally driving a car down the street.

The point of a forum is to be able to ask others about their experience. I am at work and if someone else had a similar run-in, I would like to know about it.

You are all tuned up as if I am denying wrong doing...I am not. I am just asking a question which you chose to respond to. If you can't avoid being an asshole, simply don't respond. It's easy.

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Daft Punk (Post 6694847)
Yea man, get it inspected and show up in court. more than likely they will waive the fees and be on your way.

Thanks for the response.

BAN HAMMER 11-09-2010 06:29 AM

Depending on the judge, you may still have to pay court costs

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Donkey-Punch (Post 6694868)

Thats a gamble that might not be worth it.

I just called and its $66 if I show up with the receipt saying the car has been inspected to the court window. If I don't, its a $96 fine.

Daft Punk 11-09-2010 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by Donkey-Punch (Post 6694868)

This too. Call and find out how much court cost is and from there figure out what you wanna do, but you should get your car inspected.

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Daft Punk (Post 6694886)
This too. Call and find out how much court cost is and from there figure out what you wanna do, but you should get your car inspected.

No question about it...it was on my to-do list, I just don't drive the car too often and it slipped my mind. The front plate I would like to keep off the car, but we will see.

Court is $66, fine is $96. I can pay the $66 tomorrow if I want by getting the car inspected and going to the court window.

kk1365 11-09-2010 07:46 AM

ok all you have to do is get it inspected get the receipt, take a picture of the sticker on the car and take the ticket in to the clerks office and if you show them thats it. NO court costs no nothing unless its a fee labeled on the ticket.

95RogueM3 11-09-2010 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by kk1365 (Post 6695079)
ok all you have to do is get it inspected get the receipt, take a picture of the sticker on the car and take the ticket in to the clerks office and if you show them thats it. NO court costs no nothing unless its a fee labeled on the ticket.

The options on the "pre-payment" list all mention having to pay the estimated court fee ($66) even if I come with the problem corrected. The only one that involves no payment is if I get the charges dismissed in court, which as said above is kind of a crap shoot. I am going to go with my check book and act like its a simple "fix-it" ticket and hope for the best, I think.

IMSHAKN 11-09-2010 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by kk1365 (Post 6695079)

This is the way it has worked for me, but it's been 10 years since I've had any tickets. <knocks on wood>

You can try talking to the cop who issued the ticket. They used to be able to take care of it for you.

kk1365 11-09-2010 05:47 PM

i got a ticket for an expired license that didnt expire at the time until 2011 (it was 2009 at the time) all i did was go to the DMV and they gave me a "new" one just with a different design and it was fine. I just got a ticket for expired tags that the clerks office fucked up by not sending my payment to the DMV and all i did was bring in the ticket and my registration and they said have a nice day. I got a ticket for no front license plate and i just took a picture of it and took it down and they said have a nice day. Its never been an issue and everywhere that iv gotten a ticket its been the same thing, either take a picture or bring in papers and its all over with.