VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   Passing inspection with a cracked fog light (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/passing-inspection-cracked-fog-light-358526/)

1slowxr4ti 08-11-2010 02:26 PM

Passing inspection with a cracked fog light

My gf has a 08 mazda 3 and one of her fog lights is cracked. THe dealership failed inspection for that. told her not to go to dealerships:rolleyes:.. they slapped a rejection sticker on it and she doesnt have $120 for a replacement fog light assembly right now. If i put black tape as a cover on both fog lights, will it pass inspection at another shop? i am guessing so because they are covered and not in use... Taking them off is quiet a hassle...damn new cars. thanks for the help

slowintegra92 08-11-2010 03:09 PM

Re: Passing inspection with a cracked fog light

another shop would not bother looking..the dealer only did bc they noticed it and wanted you to buy a new one from them.

1slowxr4ti 08-11-2010 03:24 PM

thanks thats what i figured, should i leave the rejection sticker on there

ShawnD 08-11-2010 03:30 PM

You have to have the light in working order and not broke if it is on the vehicle.

TNGChris 08-11-2010 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by DEEEEEEEEEEEERP (Post 6500904)
You have to have the light in working order and not broke if it is on the vehicle.

But it can be covered if it's an auxiliary light-correct?

Al_P 08-11-2010 03:52 PM

Covered with a cover such as WRX plastic covers over fog light? Or clear yellow film type of deal?

If it was covered completely blocking it then i'd say its at inspectors discretion.Bc as far as i see if its covered then its almost like its not there. There is nothing specific about it in the state manual. Your best bet is to call state police and ask. But then again it all boils down to the if its there it must work. Gray area.

I'd pass you and call it a day...if i was having a good day :D

sea6speed 08-11-2010 04:24 PM

In VA? I could see Maryland failing you for that type of BS. Seriously, I'd put a thick lens cover over it and make sure the bulb works.

BuiltforSin 08-11-2010 05:00 PM

We've always rejected cars with a crack or break in the fog light lens. Then again I've only worked at dealerships.

nftuatn 08-11-2010 05:00 PM

tape a 20$ to the lens...then when he see its cracked he may look the other way,

if not it will cost you 36 bucks and you will still have a rejection

but i would just remove the rejection and go to a mom/pops inspection station

ShawnD 08-11-2010 05:05 PM

LOL

Quentin 08-12-2010 04:08 AM

Gas stations are usally the most lenient.

Jenkinsal2 08-12-2010 04:23 AM

Technically if the bulb housing is still in the lens it must be functional and pass the inspection process along with the other lights. Remove the bulb housing from the back of the foglight if possible and ziptie it up out of the way. This will make the lens a "decorative" lens and will no longer be subject to the inspection process.

Lord Humongous 08-12-2010 04:24 AM

give her the money to get a light you fucking cheap ass.

TransAmWS6 08-12-2010 04:31 AM

i cant imagine the place i go for inspection would ever fail for something like that lol. just take it out of the car and put it back in after inspection.

idkmybffEM1ly 08-12-2010 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by TransAmWS6 (Post 6501785)
i cant imagine the place i go for inspection would ever fail for something like that lol. just take it out of the car and put it back in after inspection.

this