VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   what would i need to swap b18 into 97 civic coupe? (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/what-would-i-need-swap-b18-into-97-civic-coupe-284280/)

b182boost 03-29-2009 04:44 PM

what would i need to swap b18 into 97 civic coupe?

what would i need to swap b18a into 97 civic coupe? i have a 97 coupe n i need 2 know what i'll have to buy to do the swap?i have the whole running teg,so do i just need motor mount brackets?thanks 4 all input

emgjsdk1 03-29-2009 06:10 PM

Re: what would i need to swap b18 into 97 civic coupe?

b series axles
mounts
ls ecu
shift linkage
maybe a wiring harness conversion depending on what year the teg is

8====D 03-29-2009 06:15 PM

There is this amazing thing called Google.... and then again there is a search button on this very page you are looking at.... CRAZY right???

Please dont say you tried searching either.

emgjsdk1 03-29-2009 06:17 PM

^this guy helped me when i asked this question like 2 weeks ago??
but hes right

8====D 03-29-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by emgjsdk1 (Post 5133560)
^this guy helped me when i asked this question like 2 weeks ago??
but hes right

Thats why I said it because its already been answered... and not to long ago ;)

radiaki11 03-29-2009 07:51 PM

to swap a B in a ek u use all your factory D mounts , except you use the 99-00 B16 T bracket , and the cast iron 2 prong bracket that bolts to the block on the timing belt side off the 99-00 SI , then u need b axles and intermediate shaft , 94-00 integra shift linkage or 99-00 SI shift linkage use the wire harness from your single cam and then either use a obd2a ls ecu or get a obd2a to obd1 jumper harness and use a obd1 ls ecu or chipped ecu your choice .

SERSpecV 03-29-2009 11:15 PM

Try Searching dude.... as stated above

radiaki11 03-30-2009 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by SERSpecV (Post 5134446)
Try Searching dude.... as stated above

why doe he need to search when i just layed the whole swap out for him in the post above

b182boost 03-30-2009 08:45 AM

see the thing is i bought a shell w/out a motor. the mount brackets are gone,as is the wiring harness and ecu.( i doubt that my questions were already answered here, and i do know how to research,but google don't answer questions,it gives you related articles to read) What i need to know is if i can use the harness and ecu from the 91 teg and run them as best i can? And all the motor mount brackets i've seen(at junkyard) are welded to the frame,where as on my shell they looked like they were bolted down(no weld marks or grind marks) so im trying to figure out what i can use off my car to make this work,and what i'll have to buy. i really appreciate all the POSITIVE info,all other comments can be sent back to the peanut gallery.

Fabrik8 03-30-2009 05:57 PM

You would arguably be better off getting a later generation (1992+) B18 instead of the earlier model that you have. A later model engine will be almost plug and play in your car, just using the Integra parts of the same or similar generation to your Civic.

My whole point is that by the time you will get all of the swap parts that you'll need to put that engine in your car, you might as well get a newer version of the same engine and have a much easier, faster, cleaner, newer, better install. Then if you want to get tuned at some point, you can just get an adapter harness and a different (OBD1) ECU and you're all set.

The older engine, even though it's already cheap/free, is going to be a lot more of a pain in the ass and will require a lot more small odds and ends to get everything going properly.
Also, if the engine is that old (1991?) you should look into a rebuild or at least replace some of the easy stuff like timing belt, water pump, head gasket, valve cover seals, etc. at the bare minimum.

Oh, you'll to figure out which way you want to go for the transmission also; you'll either need to get a hydro conversion kit for the tranny or convert the pedals to a cable setup. Or you could get a newer transmission...

radiaki11 03-30-2009 11:41 PM

96-00 civic's didnt have brackets welded to the frame rail like integra's and earlyer model civic's , the tranny side bracket bolts to the tranny . the mount bolts to the side of the frame rail , the driver side had a metal bracet that bolts to a two prong cast iron bracket that bolts to the block , and the metal bracet that comes off the cast piece bolts to a cylinder shaped mount that bolts to the top of the frame rail , the rear has a mount bolted to the subrframe and the motor is attached by a T bracket , and as i said in my earlyer post , you use the SOHC 96-00 tranny mount and bracket , driver side you use the SOHC mount and bracket but use the cast iron peice that bolts to the block out of a 99-00 si , and for the rear you use the SOHC mount that is bolted to the subframe and you use a T bracket out of a 99-00 SI ,shift linkage you use either SI or 94-00 integra,axles are the same thing 94-00 or SI ,wire harness just find one out of a 96-00 civic , as for a ECU use one that matchs the correct OBD as the wire harness you bought or buy the correct jumper harness and run a OBD1 ecu your choice ,cant get any more clear then that. also no matter what year motor you buy your going to have to use the sensors, injectors and distributor that match you wire harness.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3662/13s020b4703.png

b182boost 04-01-2009 05:54 PM

good shit,thanks

radiaki11 04-01-2009 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by b182boost (Post 5144734)
good shit,thanks

haha no problem man i broke the swap down for you in as much detail as i could and privided mount pics

goob 04-01-2009 07:26 PM

if you need anyparts to finish your swap lmk i have alot of ek b-series parts....gsr hydro tranny....innovative solid mounts....the timming belt bracket....and i have a 96-98 engine harness...just lmk i might or probly have it...good luck with everything tho...

SPAWN 04-01-2009 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by radiaki11 (Post 5137900)
96-00 civic's didnt have brackets welded to the frame rail like integra's and earlyer model civic's , the tranny side bracket bolts to the tranny . the mount bolts to the side of the frame rail , the driver side had a metal bracet that bolts to a two prong cast iron bracket that bolts to the block , and the metal bracet that comes off the cast piece bolts to a cylinder shaped mount that bolts to the top of the frame rail , the rear has a mount bolted to the subrframe and the motor is attached by a T bracket , and as i said in my earlyer post , you use the SOHC 96-00 tranny mount and bracket , driver side you use the SOHC mount and bracket but use the cast iron peice that bolts to the block out of a 99-00 si , and for the rear you use the SOHC mount that is bolted to the subframe and you use a T bracket out of a 99-00 SI ,shift linkage you use either SI or 94-00 integra,axles are the same thing 94-00 or SI ,wire harness just find one out of a 96-00 civic , as for a ECU use one that matchs the correct OBD as the wire harness you bought or buy the correct jumper harness and run a OBD1 ecu your choice ,cant get any more clear then that. also no matter what year motor you buy your going to have to use the sensors, injectors and distributor that match you wire harness.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3662/13s020b4703.png

damn man....+rep for you!!!