VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Western VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/western-va-17/)
-   -   My fuel injectors are making a hated noise (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/western-va-17/my-fuel-injectors-making-hated-noise-257011/)

Boosted Bitch 09-30-2008 04:45 PM

My fuel injectors are making a hated noise

Ok... I have never heard fuel injectors do this... but one of mine are making a loud static noise. We thought it was a plug wire arking... but its definitely an injector. My bestest DSM friend (Landry) has been trying to get a good tune on my GST for a while now, and just when he gets it running awesome with no knock... we will go out for another pull and it knocks in a totally different area. About a year ago... the car ran awesome on 23psi on pump gas with no knock... now I can't get over 16 without it knocking. He thinks it may be the injectors... because God knows hes tried everything else. We even switched out the knock sensor... but it made no difference. Anyway... I'll stop rambling... but has anyone else had this problem? Could it be the injectors? Oh and if anyone has got a set of 1000cc injectors for sale... hit me up cuz this sista needs a set. =)

BSeriesTurbo 09-30-2008 05:19 PM

Re: My fuel injectors are making a hated noise

He still tuning with a narrowband? You could easily rule something out in the fuel system if you had a wideband.

Sell ya one, not kidding. PLX

Boosted Bitch 09-30-2008 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo (Post 4557837)
He still tuning with a narrowband? You could easily rule something out in the fuel system if you had a wideband.

Sell ya one, not kidding. PLX

No... I got a AEM wideband in it now. I guess whats really weird is that the car is never consistant. It will do really good... and then 5 minutes later its totally different. I'm gonna try switching out the injectors and then if that doesn't fix it... its getting meth inj.

BSeriesTurbo 09-30-2008 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DSMSherie (Post 4557933)
No... I got a AEM wideband in it now. I guess whats really weird is that the car is never consistant. It will do really good... and then 5 minutes later its totally different. I'm gonna try switching out the injectors and then if that doesn't fix it... its getting meth inj.

Thats a good idea. Cover up a more serious problem with more stress.

Are the a/f curves consistent, or jumping around? What are your ratios like?

Boosted Bitch 09-30-2008 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo (Post 4557954)
Thats a good idea. Cover up a more serious problem with more stress.

Are the a/f curves consistent, or jumping around? What are your ratios like?

HA HA HA!! You sound like Landry. He fusses at me too when I talk about throwing meth on it. Honestly the car is pig rich on the top end right now... just to keep it safe. We are gonna mess with it more this weekend... I'll have to get back to ya on that one because honestly... we only did 2 pulls this weekend and I didn't pay much attention to it. On the last pull the wideband went to 10.3 under a load. Like I said... she is rich.

FiascoXL 09-30-2008 06:34 PM

injectors can and have been known to cause phantom knock. there's a set of 950's on dsmlink forums for 200. shipped, they been on the car for only 10 days.

BSeriesTurbo 09-30-2008 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by DSMSherie (Post 4558049)
HA HA HA!! You sound like Landry. He fusses at me too when I talk about throwing meth on it. Honestly the car is pig rich on the top end right now... just to keep it safe. We are gonna mess with it more this weekend... I'll have to get back to ya on that one because honestly... we only did 2 pulls this weekend and I didn't pay much attention to it. On the last pull the wideband went to 10.3 under a load. Like I said... she is rich.

Ask him why we sound the same.

Injectors could be causing knock issues, but the plugs should reveal a problem there. Do keep in mind that too rich can cause knock issues as well. I'd lean it out some.

Loose parts or clutch/tranny issues can show up on stock ecu knock functions as well.

Boosted Bitch 09-30-2008 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by BSeriesTurbo (Post 4558257)
Ask him why we sound the same.

Injectors could be causing knock issues, but the plugs should reveal a problem there. Do keep in mind that too rich can cause knock issues as well. I'd lean it out some.

Loose parts or clutch/tranny issues can show up on stock ecu knock functions as well.

Clutch is new and tranny is still fine... and the plugs are always clean and no deposits. Landry has tried leaning it out... but then it only gets worse. I'm gonna try the injectors first and see what happens. Thanks for your help!

Boosted Bitch 09-30-2008 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by FiascoXL (Post 4558199)
injectors can and have been known to cause phantom knock. there's a set of 950's on dsmlink forums for 200. shipped, they been on the car for only 10 days.

SWEEEEEET!!! Thanks!!!

brianeclipse98 09-30-2008 07:24 PM

sell you mine but they went in the evo:(

Boosted Bitch 09-30-2008 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by brianeclipse98 (Post 4558378)
sell you mine but they went in the evo:(

:( Oh its ok... I forgive you this time... just don't let it happen again. :p

Spooln4 10-01-2008 07:02 AM

I would not throw meth into the equation, you will just be chasing your tail. Meth also will richen you up even more.

I know this sounds weird but didn't all this start happening when you went to the ssautochrome fmic? Ever thought of switching to a precision IC or spearco core to just see if knock is lower.

My 850's were pretty loud as well, but I never had phantom knock issues because of it. I even switched to 3rd gen lifters thinking that was the tapping noise I was hearing but it didn't. Are you using a gmaf? If so you might be experiencing an uncalibrated maf or it's just sensitive to weather fluctuations.

Boosted Bitch 10-02-2008 02:33 AM

Originally Posted by Spooln4 (Post 4559399)
I would not throw meth into the equation, you will just be chasing your tail. Meth also will richen you up even more.

I know this sounds weird but didn't all this start happening when you went to the ssautochrome fmic? Ever thought of switching to a precision IC or spearco core to just see if knock is lower.

My 850's were pretty loud as well, but I never had phantom knock issues because of it. I even switched to 3rd gen lifters thinking that was the tapping noise I was hearing but it didn't. Are you using a gmaf? If so you might be experiencing an uncalibrated maf or it's just sensitive to weather fluctuations.

Yeah... the car never knocked when I had that crappy little Greddy kit. Landry had mentioned that too about the FMIC. Maybe while I'n injector shopping... I should find a new FMIC too. Did your 850s make a static noise? It seems to be only one of mine making the noise.

HighPSI TSi Guy 10-02-2008 03:31 AM

all the rochester-ish injectors are usually pretty loud. bad injector could cause intermitten single cyl leanness which would cause knock. Or, if you're using a GM MAF, it could be skipping counts. IC seems unlikely but SS autochrome does suck, i'm sure a better one wouldn't hurt. hasn't this been going on for like a year?

Boosted Bitch 10-02-2008 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy (Post 4562638)
all the rochester-ish injectors are usually pretty loud. bad injector could cause intermitten single cyl leanness which would cause knock. Or, if you're using a GM MAF, it could be skipping counts. IC seems unlikely but SS autochrome does suck, i'm sure a better one wouldn't hurt. hasn't this been going on for like a year?

Actually not a year... Landry had the car running awesome on 23psi for a while... then I snapped the timing belt. While it was torn down, it got cams, FMIC, Tial BOV, and Fidanza cam gears... thats all that changed. It actually didn't knock at all until the injector started making the noise. There are a few things we are going to try... the motor mounts first, because a couple of mine are broken and then the injectors. I guess if that doesn't fix it, I need to start looking for an FMIC. Its just frustrating because its not consistant and its hard to pinpoint the problem. The car runs great and always has. I never feel or hear anything when it "knocks" which makes me wonder if it truly is knocking or if its phantom knock. I mean if the car was detonating I would think I would hear something of feel a change in how the car is running but I don't. Plus the plugs are always clean... no deposits or anything.