Notices
NOVA/DC/MD We've expanded our NOVA forum to include the Greater DC Metro area as well as southern Maryland. Come on in and join our community!

lets try again, Va state laws. this is serious

Old 01-21-2005, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile
Default lets try again, Va state laws. this is serious

the last thread failed, but i wanted to make a point about why these laws would be impossible to change or alter. i was typing this as the last thread got locked
(slightly edited for maverick to keep it clean)
Originally Posted by su_maverick
***************** WE DONT WANT TO REPEAL THE BAN ON NOISE POLLUTION AND NEONS. Get that through your head, this is about acutal performance parts not crappy mufflers you pick up at auto zone and non DOT approved lighting. If you break the law because you are too loud, FINE, if you cant pass emmissions FAIL if youre lights arent DOT approved and you get a ticket, FINE, ******************************.
i see where you are coming from here. what you need to realize is they arent going to give up the revenue they bring in from writing tickets on those exhausts that really arent that loud. its free money that of course they wont give up because we say so... what would be an interesting statistic is to find the actual amount of money the nearby counties or state as a whole bring in from these violations. at which point you would understand why i dont think you have much of a case for the state, they are money hungry... how can i look up such a statistic?
Old 01-21-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile gtistile
Default Re: lets try again, Va state laws. this is serious

SU_MAVERICK IN AN IM: believe it or not I acually understand your last post. I am not saying all that crap should be legal, just that if there are no illegal characteristics about something (noise or emmissions output) then the only reason it is outlawed is because it is shaped differently. If the lighting you have on your car is not DOT approved then yes it should be illegal. I just dont like the vagueness of the law because it can be used on anything and leaves people (who might not even be breaking the law) open to harassment. Think of dealer options that might seem like aftermarket parts.

My response (so i dont have to type it all over, we might be making headway here believe it or not ) will be posted as soon as i recienve a receipt from MAV...or maybe he can post it for me...
Old 01-21-2005, 04:25 PM
you put what, where?

su_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these parts

The local counties have to keep records of how many tickets were issued for a particular offense. The deal is this, Fairfax is the only country right now that strictly enforces these laws but its not them who have the ability to write the law. Like it was discussed before, if the law was to be modified to specific measurable limits such as noise and emissions we would have to show them that the law the way it is now is a hinderance to small business (economic impact and sales tax) and show how that outweighs the revenue generated from tickets. I am going to try to research the case made in PA and see if there are any arguments that can be used in our situation. Like I said if you are disturbing the peace then you should be dealt with accordingly, I am focusing on the mature people who are car enthusiasts. My thoughts are that the laws should focus around the aspects of aftermarket parts that are actually a detractor from the well being of the public rather than just lump it all together and call it done. I myself bought my exhaust because it is one of the quietest around and I have done ALOT of work to my car and I still have my stock BOV and it is vented back into my intake tract.

btw- the last post I made was not directed at you but at teggy.

Im sure that everyone on this board is suprised as hell that logic is winning out on the NOVA section.

Last edited by su_maverick; 01-21-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

these are steps in the right direction for this type of situation. i want $ amounts of how much money the state makes off of exhaust charges alone. do you have the last PM i sent you on here? i have no record of that but want it posted if you could...TIA

Last edited by gtistile; 01-21-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:40 PM
you put what, where?

su_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these partssu_maverick is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by gtistile via PM
i agree on this for sure... new thread on old topic posted...we gotta put heads together on this situation, and see if something not so subjective can be made about this kinda stuff. i still think it is a stretch (read the first post of the new topic to see what i mean) but maybe worth a shot??? who knows. there are a few things that should be thoroughly researched before attempting to persue such an action...
Basically we can get a rough estimate of how much the state makes from Louden and especially FFX's records since those two seem to be the ones enforcing it the most. I have been all over VA and never heard of this type of enforcement till I came back to NoVA. I even used to live in SoCal and they are more lenient than FFX. Out there there is always a clear reason behind a law, not because "we felt like it". Now, the question is where would you find the records for the amount of tickets that were issued for a particular violation? This has to be in public record somewhere.
Old 01-21-2005, 04:51 PM
Registered Member

Basically we can get a rough estimate of how much the state makes from Louden and especially FFX's records since those two seem to be the ones enforcing it the most. I have been all over VA and never heard of this type of enforcement till I came back to NoVA. I even used to live in SoCal and they are more lenient than FFX. Out there there is always a clear reason behind a law, not because "we felt like it". Now, the question is where would you find the records for the amount of tickets that were issued for a particular violation? This has to be in public record somewhere.
the total numbers would make us all sick to our stomachs i would imagine. ive done research on speeding and found the total amount of fines from those types of charges, but this is commonly documented material, i would imagine finding total amounts of exhaust charges would be more explicit and harder to find. maybe if someone knows a FFx or Loudoun county cop personally they can try to get the information from them, because surely they have access to it. hell, they probably laugh at us idiots for paying them all so much, im sure they know off the top of their heads. someone useful that knows a cop get in here and get that info
Old 01-21-2005, 04:59 PM
you put what, where?

this is the basis for what I am saying (to make it clear to others). If I went into a Mazda dealer today and purchased a new RX-8 (which wouldnt happen) I could purchase MazdaSpeed parts for the car (which would be considered OEM). But, it would not "look" OEM to a police officer and would not stop him from pulling me over and issuing me a ticket. It "might" get thrown out in court but that doesnt stop me from being harassed. Like I said, I am going to try to make it to the library tommrow (block away) and try to find info on these violations because it should be a manner of public record. I will post up that info when I have it.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:33 PM

Evo spooling is an unknown quantity at this point

this is the basis for what I am saying (to make it clear to others). If I went into a Mazda dealer today and purchased a new RX-8 (which wouldnt happen) I could purchase MazdaSpeed parts for the car (which would be considered OEM). But, it would not "look" OEM to a police officer and would not stop him from pulling me over and issuing me a ticket. It "might" get thrown out in court but that doesnt stop me from being harassed. Like I said, I am going to try to make it to the library tommrow (block away) and try to find info on these violations because it should be a manner of public record. I will post up that info when I have it.
I have seen things similar to this posted on evolutionm.net - A few people have received tickets for stock equipment such as the carbon fiber wing. I have received an inordinate amount of attention from police in the NOVA area and it is really only pure harassment. I will give the police some credit as they are actually trying to learn about what is OEM and what isn't.
Old 01-21-2005, 05:46 PM
has a huge dong

VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER VB2NER

it really is a good idea though, the federal govt can lobby states, and if someone like sema,or at least of that caliber will petition this through gov't officials above the states head,ie. dc
Old 01-21-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered Member

SRT-4's and R32 VW' gti's have gotton exhaust tickets with standard factory equipment...thats just going too far. somethin should be done. let us know what you find mav

Quick Reply: lets try again, Va state laws. this is serious