Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

Lumpy idle, random mis-fire under light throttle

Old 07-27-2009, 02:36 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE
Default Lumpy idle, random mis-fire under light throttle

Okay, here we go. I have a '91 CBR F2 with 19k on the clock. I've cleaned and synced the carbs and replaced the spark plugs. The idle is pretty lumpy and under part throttle there's a bit of a mis-fire but as soon as I get passed maybe 10% throttle angle the misfire is gone, it's not as bad now that it's been sync'd and new plugs. I'm thinking it might be a coil or the pilot screws need to be removed and cleaned then re-adjusted. When I cleaned the carbs I did not remove the pilot screw/adjusters. Here's how it sounds now.

Last edited by ProbeGT-ZE; 07-27-2009 at 02:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Registered Member

98formulaLS1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Lumpy idle, random mis-fire under light throttle

i know were chatting online, but, the first time I cleaned my carbs I also didn't remove the pilot jets. I had a very very similar issue. I borrowed the pilot screw tool from a friend, which I still have, and got around to removing them, cleaning, and readjusting to factory spec. My issues went away.

we can do it together if you want. i just re-read the section of your manual about adjusting the pilot screw, we're good to go.
Old 07-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE ProbeGT-ZE

Whenever you're free Dan. It's driving me nuts, but if all I need to do is break down the carbs again then so be it.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
hatrs make me famous

skr00zloose has disabled reputation

before you pull the pilot screws, turn them all the way in until they bottom out LIGHTLY, and count the number of turns so you know where to start your adjusting when you put them back in. Ususally about 2-2.5 turns out is just about right on most jap bikes.
Old 07-27-2009, 06:25 PM
I <3 Hikki Chan!

Originally Posted by skr00zloose
before you pull the pilot screws, turn them all the way in until they bottom out LIGHTLY, and count the number of turns so you know where to start your adjusting when you put them back in. Ususally about 2-2.5 turns out is just about right on most jap bikes.
Thanks Steve, I'll keep that in mind. I'm gonna pull'em apart again with Dan on Thursday and give it a more thorough cleaning and some other misc. things I might need to take care of. It's not that hard to do. I'll adjust the pilots to be sure too.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:08 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

u need to pull the air/fuel srews out.. id pull the carbs back off and blow air threw them again with the air/fuel srews out.. there should be 3 passages. make sure the're clear.. also i see u have a slip on. do u have a jet kit?.. if not ur running lean... u need to set the air/fuel srews one at a time.. each carb will be different number of turns..