Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

bike buying 101

Old 04-06-2007, 07:32 AM
hatrs make me famous

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
skr00zloose has disabled reputation
Default Re: bike buying 101

i thought about it, but there's so many different bikes out there, and differences between years, that it would take days to type all that. if it was the middle of the winter and i didn't have anything to do, i probably would have, but the weather is getting warmer and i'm getting busier by the day.

speaking of which, if anyone needs any work done, let me know. i'm having to start to schedule things to keep from having too many bikes at my house at one time. i try not to have anyones bike for more than a day or two unless it's more invloved work.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:34 AM
Free Time

octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane octane

Good info Steve. For noobs (and others lookin to learn more) wanting to get a mechanical head start, ride over to B&N and pick up Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:31 AM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by octane
Good info Steve. For noobs (and others lookin to learn more) wanting to get a mechanical head start, ride over to B&N and pick up Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.
yup, i read that book when i was about 14, lol. good stuff.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:15 PM
beautiful struggle

Quentin has disabled reputation

great I read this the day after I buy my bike, I had no idea what I to look for yesterday. I just checked to see if the forks were straight, lights, horn, if it had a title haha very newb stuff. Hopefully its all good.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:27 PM
Double Agent HT

ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL ILLEGAL

great stuff. Thank you.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:06 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

STICKY STICKY STICKY
Old 04-09-2007, 08:43 AM
FTP! Cop's Lie!

R1Buttercup is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL I know Steve didn't write that up

Good info though
Old 04-09-2007, 03:14 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by R6Buttercup
LOL I know Steve didn't write that up

Good info though

psssh... don't doubt my skills yo.
Old 04-21-2007, 06:22 AM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

One thing I've also done if i bought something used with any sort of motor is ask the owner NOT to start it before you get there. Some owners know that their bike/lawnmower/4wheeler/dirtbike/ etc etc is a royal BITCH to start when its cold and they don't want you to know that. So they'll fire it up, warm it up, that way when you get there, one thing you notice is how easy it cranks up. I know most people when you would tell them you don't want them to start it (if they have a problem) they'll do it anyway, but some don't think twice about why you're asking. Then you can do what skrooz said, look for smoke and such.

I used to always ride Yamaha. I'm a firm believer in Yamaha motorsports. I haven't had much luck at all with Honda as I used to ride dirtbikes/4wheelers. Yamaha has not once let me down. I had a r6, was in complete love it. I knew once I sold it a r6/r1 was going to be my next bike. When I was ready to purchase I went and sat on both the Suzuki/yamaha. I knew right then the suzuki was me. It just felt "right".
Old 04-27-2007, 03:30 PM
hatrs make me famous

Originally Posted by Nates95Accord
One thing I've also done if i bought something used with any sort of motor is ask the owner NOT to start it before you get there. Some owners know that their bike/lawnmower/4wheeler/dirtbike/ etc etc is a royal BITCH to start when its cold and they don't want you to know that. So they'll fire it up, warm it up, that way when you get there, one thing you notice is how easy it cranks up. I know most people when you would tell them you don't want them to start it (if they have a problem) they'll do it anyway, but some don't think twice about why you're asking. Then you can do what skrooz said, look for smoke and such.
that is a good point. any time i go look at a bike for myself, or a customer, the first thing i do is put my hand on the motor and feel if it's warm, for that exact reason.

Quick Reply: bike buying 101